• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What HDMI switcher/splitter for me to buy ?

mehullakhani

Standard Member
Hi All

I have an HTPC with an ATI 6450 card, which puts the audio out over the HDMI output.

I was hoping to use the digital audio passback from the samsung tv to get digital 5.1 back to my Sony DAV IS-10 system.

Unfortunatley from reading the manual it seems that the Samsung will only send 2.0 back from the tv, even if the signal it gets is 5.1 . In addition the ATI HDMI driver detects it as a 2.0 device, and only lets me have 2.0 audio.

Therefore, I was hoping to use a splitter to get 5.1 audio stripped off the HDMI signal. My plan was to send the 5.1 to the amp directly via SPDIF from the splitter, and then let the picture go to the Samsung tv, again via the splitter

However, reading about EDID etc etc, it seems that the ATI card will still pick up the tv as a 2.0 device, and therfore will not send 5.1 over the HDMI.

The software I will be using is XBMC if that makes any difference.

How can I fool the pc into thinking the 5.1 sony is at the end of the HDMI ( the sony doesnt have an HDMI input ), instead of the Samsung TV, and therfore get it to output 5.1 ?

Do I need a special splitter with EDID ?

Thanks

Mehul

:confused:

malcky

Established Member
Cant you just get a soundcard for your HTPC that has an optical or coax output, feed that to your amp and the HDMI output on the ATI to the TV as normal.

The motherboard on your HTPC might already have onboard sound with a digital output???? which means nothing needed money wise.....unless you need a digital cable???

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom