What HDMI cables are 1.3a compliant ?

Ross-P

I've found some cables which are 1.3 compliant but I can't find any that are 1.3a compliant. Am I right in saying that a 1.3 compliant cable won't support all the features of a 1.3a cable ?

I know some of the uses for this cable are in the future but these cables can be expensive and I just want to buy the right thing.

Member 213491

I've found some cables which are 1.3 compliant but I can't find any that are 1.3a compliant. Am I right in saying that a 1.3 compliant cable won't support all the features of a 1.3a cable ?

I know some of the uses for this cable are in the future but these cables can be expensive and I just want to buy the right thing.

1.3 compliance has two grades a and b

at the moment everyoen is using 1.3a soon after 6 months people will push towards 1.3b

loz

Distinguished Member
Physically there is no difference in the connectors. All HDMI cables have the connectors and number of wires. The only difference is the higher bandwidth that each release specified.

However, at short distances this isn't an issue and the likelyhood is that any short cable certified for 1.3a will work for 1.3b.

Even 39p HDMI cables from Amazon (yes, 39p) support 1080p from a 1.3 compatible PS3 without any problems, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

p9ul

Distinguished Member
At what length does it become an issue?

Currently using the Official PS3 HDMI cable with my PS3 (obviously!), which is sat right beside the TV, I could probably get away with a cable less than 1m in length but the one I have is 3m.

I don't have any problems that I know of but, as I understand it, the PS3 supports 1.3a, now if 1.3b has more bandwidth is it likely to be more than the cable can handle? I'm not looking to spend money for the sake of it (dont want the old cheap/expensive debate again), but I don't want to be creating any digital bottlenecks.

Also, if there is no physical difference, am I right in thinking the PS3 be updated to 1.3b?

loz

Distinguished Member
At what length does it become an issue??

Tests indicate 4 metres

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,121777-page,2/article.html#

Once you get a good HDMI connection, our tests indicate, you can expect flawless performance from any 4-meter cable, regardless of price. "That is what I would expect from the HDMI cables," says Maxim's Nelson. "It is not too difficult to make them work perfectly at 4 meters."...
... a digital signal may remain perfect up to a critical level and then fail catastrophically. According to the experts, such problems are likelier to occur with an 8- to 12-meter copper cable (which is significantly longer than most users need) than with a 4-meter cable of the same type.

That said, those tests were not of 1.3a or b. But did cover 1080p

Also, if there is no physical difference, am I right in thinking the PS3 be updated to 1.3b?

There are no physical differences in the cable, but that doesn't mean no physical differences in the device at either end. It is the devices that need to be 1.3b capable. I am not sure if the PS3 is capable of being updated to 1.3b using software/firmware alone. If not it would require some new graphics adaptor.

lostbok

I thought the whole 1.3 thing was around wether it could carry 1080p AND full surround sound audio over the same HDMI cable??

loz

Distinguished Member
I thought the whole 1.3 thing was around wether it could carry 1080p AND full surround sound audio over the same HDMI cable??

All HDMI cables carry surround sound.

1.3 states higher bandwidth to more specifically support Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio encoded streams.

But that still doesn't require a different type of cable, just that the signal quality will deteriate sooner because of the high bandwidth used. But at short lengths, who knows, even a 60p might still be OK. Even a fully certified 1.3 cable needn't be expensive. Amazon list them for just £6.99

lostbok

1.3 states higher bandwidth to more specifically support Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio encoded streams.

Cool, so I wasn't a million miles off :)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello all

HDMI v1.3a is not a different test methodology - its another revision to the specification; though I'm not aware of any cables claiming v1.3a compliance (as yet!).

HDMI v1.3 outlines two cable Test Categories Cat1 and Cat2.

Joe

PS You can have HDMI v1.3a compliant switch gear though - see http://www.zektor.com/mas71/index.html

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom