What hdmi cable for a panasonic 4k BR Ub820 to a LG CX tv?

mac74

Hello all, ive just got my panasonic ub820 4k blu ray player today, and need to connect it to my LG cx tv and im wondering if my existing hdmi cable will do this 18gbps thing? (recommended speed for 50p/60p in the manual) Is there any way of checking this? or what should i buy? Many thanks m

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The 'High Speed' cable spec required for 18Gbps has been the standard for most of HDMI's lifetime so your current cable is very likely fine.

If it can't handle the bandwidth it'll run at a lower resolution so if it's showing a 4K signal it's fine.

mac74

Thanks E.W, but on amazon there is loads of 10.2bps & 18bps hdmi leads for sale? i hooked it up and at first it said it was connented but no 4k signal, then messing about with the hdmi's behind the telly, it then says 4k on in the corner of the screen. I think that after spending about £1500 on this new setup, i don't want to slip up on a crap hdmi cable (if u know what i mean) maybe i will just go to argos 2moro and buy a belkin £25 hdmi lead?

mac74

Ive just found this on the net, and will try it tomorrow

Some devices, like Apple TV, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4, have HDMI cable testing and provide pretty detailed information regarding what the cable supports. Make use of those features!

How Can I Tell If My HDMI Cable Is Working?​

In the past, because HDMI works as a digital connector, common wisdom said you’d either get a signal or no signal, and that was the way to tell. While this still holds true for extreme situations (such as a completely faulty cable), it doesn’t work when trying to test an HDMI cable’s bandwidth nuances.
Since HDMI cables and versions are all backwards compatible, a poorly made HDMI 2.0 cable that can only handle 15Gbps instead of 18Gbps will still seemingly work just fine. However, it won’t be able to display a full 4K 60Hz HDR image. You need to be slightly vigilant and look for warning signs of insufficient bandwidth.
The most obvious are artifacts. If parts of the screen flicker or the whole screen goes green (or some other color) for a split second, then you’re looking at a bandwidth bottleneck. If possible, go into the settings for your devices and change things around. The easiest would be chroma sampling. A good HDMI 2.0 cable can do 4K 60Hz HDR in 4:2:2. If you force it to pass 4:4:4 content, you may run into the artifacts we mentioned above.
By the same token, if your HDMI 2.0 cable shows artifacts when running content in 4:2:2 but no artifacts if you change your settings to 4:2:0, then you know it’s not really capable of that 18Gbps bandwidth.

mjbtin

I would get premium certified cables,you dont need to spend silly money.
These are what I use:thumbsup:

Martin

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Thanks E.W, but on amazon there is loads of 10.2bps & 18bps hdmi leads for sale?
Amazon sellers aren't exactly the most honest bunch, and will happily throw whatever term at the item title they think people will be searching for - even when it implies a distinction that doesn't exist.

I certainly wouldn't be spending anywhere near £25 for a standard indoor, 2-3m cable - that's just rip-off pricing.

HDMI is constructed in such a way that it delivers a perfect picture or it has major issues like breaking up or dropping to a lower resolution. Marginal cases where the picture works and is almost perfect are extremely rare - I don't remember the last time anyone posted about such a situation here.

So generally you'd just buy a £2-3 HDMI cable. I'd only go for a more expensive one for reasons such as needing particularly robust connectors because you were rotating the TV a lot, or needing a particularly long length of cable.

As mjbtin says if you're really worried then the HDMI standards organisation does run a certification program called High Speed Premium where they specifically check the cable against that resolution. If you're going down that route make sure the length of cable you buy has been tested as performance does change with cable length. Not all sellers are honest and some will try and sell you a range of cables as High Speed Premium Certified even when most lengths haven't been certified.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom