1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What HDD MP3 to buy

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by lcarter, Aug 7, 2004.

1. lcarter

lcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy a MP3 with HDD
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Every site I go on it seems to be the i-River iHP-140 (40GB) are there anymore possibilities - I have PC using windows XP

Would welcome any response
    :hiya:

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    I have to recommend the Apple iPod. Very reliable, well built and sounds good too.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I can't recommend the iRiver highly enough!
    I bought this over the iPod for the following reasons:

cheaper (£275 from Richer Sounds)
    better battery life (16 hours)
    better connections (optical & line in & out)
    better sound quality
    USB2.0 connection to PC rather than firewire
    no docking station required
    built in FM radio.

The battery life is the most important to me as I work 12 hour shifts and the iPods approx 8 hour battery life would not have been long enough.

Mark.

4. lcarter

lcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for both of your inputs
    Everywhere I look it seems to be the i-River iHP-140 and think I will eventually go for that one.
    Mark as you already have this model I am a complete novice to the MP3 format, can you help in what you have to do to get your music onto the player.
    I know I sound sad but I have put a lot of my old 50's and 60's songs onto 82 CD's and I am hoping it is possible to be able to get all this lot (approx 2,500 songs) onto the MP3, but as I have said I am a complete novice. :confused:
    Is there anywhere on the web that I can read all about MP3 or are there any magazines that may help me.

Thanks for your help :)

5. dvdmike

dvdmike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    i have had the phillips hdd 100 for two year now sounds better than an ipod have dropped it many a time once 5ft on to a hard floor and has one of the best running times

6. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found this by searching for MP3 FAQ
    http://www.free-mp3-music-player-downloads.com/mp3_faq.html

FWIW I think you'd find Apple's iTunes & iPod hard to beat for ease of use and sheer elegance of design.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    lcarter,
    when I got my iRiver I did a bit of searching around (here on the forums and Google searches) and was recommended that for high quality conversion to MP3 I should use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) to rip the CD's onto my PC and Lame to encode to VBR (Variable Bit Rate) high quality MP3 files. I was pointed to a web site with setup details and links to download the free software, but everytime I try and access the site I get 'site cannot be found'. Luckily I saved the site as a Word document - so if you PM me your e-mail address I will send the document on to you.
    EAC is not the fastest (about 15 minutes per CD) but it is very good quality. Once installed it is as easy as putting the CD into the drive and clicking on the 'MP3' button in EAC. Then off it goes and approx 15 minutes later you have all the tracks (including artist, album & track names) in MP3 on the PC. You then just connect the iRiver to your PC by USB and drag the folder across, update the iRiver database (instructions booklet explains) and you are ready to go.

HTH's,
    Mark.

8. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I would say the iriver ihp140 (40gb) - i cannot recommend it enough :thumbsup:

9. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    only bad thing about the ipod is that apple donlt really 'do' software upgrades, the new 4th gen model is very similar to the previous 3rd gen, but they will not issue the same set of upgrades for the 3rd gen as for the 4th..

10. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Yep, Apple are notorious for squeezing every last penny out of their userbase. Even better, they've got them so brainwashed that most users will _defend_ the way Apple milks them. The only software upgrades you'll see for iPods are those aimed at making money for Apple. If you want the enhanced features of the '4G' iPod then you've gotta ditch your 3rd Gen model even though most of the improvements are down to firmware.

I've got to hand it to Apple - they know how to make pretty cases and hype their products. The iPod is a nice player but it's far from the ultimate music machine that it's made out to be and there are more capable contenders out there at lower prices.

Gav

11. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    totally agree mate, they really have gotten on my tits with this one, as there is a feature in the new firmware that i really wanted, i have stopped hacking a long time ago, but i am really tempted to crack out the tools again to see if i can get the new firmware working on my 3rd gen machine, as i saw it was done with the 1st / 2nd gen ipods...

12. max_keller

max_keller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you can check out igearbox.com as well, they have a higher model called "H320", it looks very very cool :)

13. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I am also looking at the H320. Will be used for photo storage (which on some camera's connects directly to the machine) and mp3's. The remote control which comes with the H320 is not as good as the 140 machine and the newer model has sacrificed some connectivity outputs over the 140 model as well but still for the photo storage this is better for me.

14. Integra

Integra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The remote of H120 will work perfectly with H320. Comparing to H120.....most notably the fantastic color screen, sound quaility, decreasiing HDD noises. All can be viewed as major improvement.

15. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    If you actually want to listen to _music_ then the new H3xx models are a step backward. No current support for uncompressed (.wav) music files - supposedly coming in a future fw upgrade, no optical inputs and outputs, bigger (thicker), heavier (25g) and quite a lot more expensive ($100 on the 40 gig model, where I live)than the H1xx models they replaced. Sound quality is certainly no better on the new machines and I wasn't ever aware that HDD noise was an issue on the old ones.

If OTOH you happen to have a camera supported by the H3xx (many aren'tso check first) and you have real need of a large 'digital wallet' then it may be worth making those sacrifices to get the photo features.

Personally I would (did) save the money and go for an older H1xx iRiver. The optical output is great, it's really portable to carry and the price for the 40gig H140 was lower than current prices for the 20gig H320. Future digital cameras will have USB 'On the Go' built in and should be able to utlitise the H1xx as a digital wallet directly.

Gav