Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

What HDD/DVD-recorder to choose?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kornmod, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Kornmod

Kornmod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I need your help...

I'm planning on buying a HDD/DVD-recorder, but don't know which one to choose. I'm looking for a recorder in the £500-£700 range. I've been reading a lot of reviews, but they havn't helped me much as almost all the machines did good in the tests. But one thing is tests another thing is real life.

What are your experiences with recorders in the £500-£700 range?
    I like Sony in general and have been looking at their RDR-HX1000, but would I be better of with another brand, say Panasonic or Phillips?

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Well, the HX1000 is discontinued, and also had some significant limitations in its editing capability. There is a HX910 which has replaced it and at quick look may have sorted out the editing issues… this is available in Europe now; UK model doesn’t come until later.

General advice if you read this forum is stay away from Phillips..

Panasonics are generally well regarded… you can get a DMRE500HEBS with a 400 GB HDD for £715.

Or you can get the new Panasonic DMREH50 which has an 80 GB disk, or Toshiba XS34 with 160, for just over £300.

I’d focus more on what you want – it’s good to have a big budget, but depending what you want/need you could get just as good recordings with models well under your budget.

Mark

3. Kornmod

Kornmod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Mark, thx for the replay.

You're probably right about finding out what I need/want instead of just setting a big budget.
    I like the Panasonic DMR-E500, the big HDD and the ethernet connection are definitely pro's, however the video D/A is only 54 MHz/10 bit which is a big con. Besides isn't the idea with the ethernet connection to use your computer as extra storage? If so why the 400 gig HDD?
    Anyway, I've also been looking at the Pioneer DVR-920H-S which have received some excellent reviews. Does any of you guys have any experience with the DVR-920H-S??
    It is beyond my spending limit (for now) but usually the shops here in Denmark lower there prices on consumer electronics, if we have a good, hot summer (due to a slow sale), so hopefully I will be able to get the DVR-920H-S for a good price in a few months (if I hasn't bought another recorder before then)

What I need/want: Min 250 gig HDD, min 108 MHz/12 bit video D/A, and a recorder that's easy/logical to use.

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    The Sony HX-910 has 250 GB disc and 12 Bit Video DAC with 108Mhz Processing... don't know how it compares for usability with the Pioneer 920.

Mark

5. Kornmod

Kornmod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Once again thx.

I checked the specs :thumbsup: and it's just what I've been looking for. Think that's gonna be the one. It's also SACD compatable. That means I can get rid of my old Sony DVD play. It's definitely what I have been looking for.
    I've seen it on a Germany site for £430, think that's a pretty good price.

6. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Be careful that alot of the dvd recorders have analogue tuners in them and this is getting switched off in some years time

New Models are coming out that will have digital tuners in them making it easier to record programs via the electronic program guide

I would wait for the digital tuner models to come along

Mind due if your in Denmark - it doesn't matter for you! Sorry