What HD Camcorders can record >1 hour with no audio/video skip?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by henryaz, Nov 29, 2010.

1. henryaz

henryaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the market to replace my D8 video camera.

Ideally, a modest HD Video camera (HD or SD) for street price <$500.

Almost purchased JVC HD620, and then read one lone review on Amazon of a 23 minute limit at which point there is a skip in the audio.

More research, and then almost purchased Sanyo VPC HD 200, only to find a similar problem with it from another review.

Almost ALL of my video is taping of my gigs or my students' recitals, which require up to an hour of uninterrupted video. I am frustrated that the specs online for these cameras do not specify these limits.

So, what cameras have folks here used that successfully video tape an hour of uninterrupted video?

Thanks!
    Henry

2. axiomprime

axiomprime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Any filming I do that's over an hour is time-lapse so I've never noticed any audio glitches. This problem might have something to do with FAT32 file size limits but I don't know what cameras will allow for other formats. Some other forumites will be more clued up than me on this.

3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
  4. henryaz

henryaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am increasingly convinced that just about all tapeless camcorders use a FAT16 or FAT32 file format. This would mean that any video recording session greater than 2-4 GB in size would need to span more than one clip.

I can't imagine the camera makers not solving the problem of recording long clips, so I can't help but wonder if the user reviews that complained of such were simply dealing with a computer software issue that failed to properly stitch the clips together.

Anybody have experience in successfully recording long clips? What camera? What software?

Thanks!

5. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    I'd have thought any cutaway shot would join the bits together....gigs are surely not that "continuous attention" are they? Even boring Operas have breaks. You could use two cameras, set them up with different viewpoints (or zoom, etc) then with radio mics..... start them a few minutes apart and you can cross-edit from one to the other, then add a mastered soundtrack to the final cut. It's more work, unless your client is content to watch a non-event unfold from a static viewpoint....
    You will need cameras with earphone out /mic. input, that way you can check the sound channels are working correctly (always a risk).

Since "most" camcorders are for family "moving snaps", makers will not think anyone needs to know about sound glitches (doesn't this apply to the image too?)....maybe pro-cameras resolve this, but for a really "continuous" recording you have to look to HDD recorders, or if quality is so-so, then a good SVHS recorder will manage continuous 240 minutes. Needs ac supply, though. and a video lead to the camera.

dunno yr business, but that's my best input. Hope it helps.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  6. axiomprime

axiomprime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    You might be better off recording the sound separately straight out of the mixing desk if it's that kind of gig.