What HD box?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Deckedr32, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Deckedr32

Deckedr32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,
    I'm looking to upgrade to Sky HD but i'm not sure what box to go for....
    Anyone know which is better?
    Samsung, Thompson or Pace?
    there seem to be loads on ebay with different hard drives installed. It this where they have changed the hard drives themselves or do they actually come like that. I'll only be going for a Brand new unit.
    Also, shy are now offering the £49 + £30 upgrade/install. What box do you get with this? Am I better going with the Sky upgrade or are they just getting rid of the older crappy boxes?
    Thanks

2. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    All have had their problems - but on this forum and others you basically only hear of problems - nobody posts 'hey my box has worked fine for the last two years'. In all likelihood you will get a box, it will give outstanding results and you won't have any problems.

Sky will install a new box, (and cables and dish if required). I don't quite know why anyone would go for a box not sourced from sky given the current offer.

3. Deckedr32

Deckedr32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

I kind of agree! But as you said I'd only heard of issues..... Just didn't want to geta box and have lip sync issues and fuzzing etc.... I may just go ahead and do it and upgrade the HD if feel the need :smashin:

Anyone else got any advice?
    Thanks

4. mudstuff

mudstuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    GasDad is pretty much spot on. One guy had an installer with time on their hands and they tried out 3 boxes - Pace, Samsung and Amstrad and rated them in that order on picture quality. You can try and request a certain box by calling the installation team the day before your install but you generally get what you are given. I got a Samsung and it's been running fine. I've had some lip synch here and there but it's always corrected itself or I've hit pause, rewound for a second and skipped back and that seemed to cure it. Think I've only noticed it on a couple of recordings off bbc hd.

I'd definately go for the offer as that gives you a professional install and 12 month warranty. They are all brand new boxes when you first sign up, not refurbs.