What have you seen recently?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by BrianC, Aug 2, 2006.

1. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    So what have you seen recently?

Fearless
    Brought and watched this to find out that this release of the film does not having any English subtitles :oops: (I guess they are holding off releasing a version with English subtitles till after its released in the west) and being cut by about 45 minutes. I managed to pick up a suprising amount of the basic story, what I've seen and understood seems good but its well worth waiting for the full version with subtitles :devil:

Daisy
    Classy romantic thriller/love triangle, its obviously retreading a lot of familar ground but it does so very well.

Election 2
    More of the same of Election 1 - basicly the film is a slow build up to the "big" ending - I'd avoid if you don't like slow paced films.

in the to watch pile:
    Raise The Red Lantern
    Three Times
    Dumplings

2. spuddy01

spuddy01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have watched A Bittersweet life & The Bad guy both very enjoyable films but I have to say A Bittersweet life was the better of the two! Asian cinema has alot to offer in all categorys!
    To be watched this week end Acacia & Heroic Duo

3. finalfightguy

finalfightguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Fearless - Retail DVD with English subs. Great, great movie. Jet Li is a suprisingly capable actor. Brilliant action scenes and an emotional story.

Tom Yum Goong - Featuring the incredible Tony Jaa. Awesome action, inconsistant pacing in the story. Corny but well meaning. Did I mention awesome action!!!

SPL - Incredible cop drama, powerful and well paced. Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung are superb in this. Great DVD transfer, beautiful picture.

New Police Story - Possible the best quality DVD picture I have ever seen, seriously awesome. Great action, touching story.

Divergence - Holy sh!t, Aaron Kwok was awesome in this movie. What an actor. Be warned though, the region 2 DVD transfer is pants! Very blurry.

4. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Was it the directors cut of Fearless or the shorter version? And which version?

I haven't seen New Police Story or Divergence yet, have to track those down.

I've seen the other films you both mention and they all get a big thumbs up from me.

5. rhythmslave

rhythmslave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I watched My Scary Girl last night. It was enjoyable, but it could have been better. I would have prefered a bit more background story about Mina, as I couldn't decide whether I liked her or not.
    Also watched Jenny, Juno. This was also enjoyable, but rather strange, as the main characters were still at school, but were having a baby.
    Dumplings is a great film that everyone should see.
    I've still got to watch Daisy and King & Clown.

6. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    I enjoyed bittersweet life, it is a really stylish and entertaining film, beautfully shot too. I also watched R-Point but it was a little disapointing to be honest, Jonathan Woss oversold it IMO :)

Any more gems out there?

Thanks,

Adam

7. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I've watched Dumplings and Three Times now and they couldn't be further apart style wise.

Dumplings is gross, I don't think I have ever watched a more disturbing film. I wouldn't want to go too much into detail about the film as it would ruin it for others but you need a strong stomach to get through this one. If you can take what it dishes out its well worth watching.

Three Times is three separate love stories filmed using the same actors. It doesn't say a lot but what it does say is very pretty. Might be a little slow paced and "art house" for some peoples taste.

If you are after more like Bittersweet Life I'd try out SPL, Infernal Affairs and Blood Brothers.

8. sushii

sushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I decided to check out what all the fuss over Ki-duk Kim was about so I recently bought The Isle, Bad Guy and Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring.

I was a bit disappointed by the first two but watching Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring was a great experience.

9. rhythmslave

rhythmslave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter...and Spring is a great film, and one of my favourites. If you enjoyed this then you should definitely see 3Iron.

10. kpjf

kpjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Some people either love or hate kim ki duk films, personally i think the isle is a brillant film, though i didn't like the bad guy much.

Dumplings is definitely one of my favourites, to be honest i didn't find it that disturbing, some takashi miike stuff is worse.

Im still undecided on bittersweet life. Very stylish and good cinematography, just still not sure if its a case of style over substance and not enough substance at that (?)

I guess i agree RPOINT wasn't that good. Silmido is pretty good, though not out in uk yet

Mountain Patrol (IMDB LINK) is quite a good film, i'd recommend this

11. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    While I won't mention what is so disgusting in Dumplings as its a massive spoiler I can't think of anything worse than the main shock in Dumplings. The takashi miike films I have seen (Ichi the Killer, Audition) are considerably more gory but far less shocking or disturbing.

Watched The King and the Clown last night, which I enjoyed a lot. Its very impressive to look at and listen to but suffers from over stated metaphors in places - particularly the tightrope. Its available as a lovely limited edition boxset from Yesasia.

12. hottstuff

hottstuff
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Watching Ergo Proxy (series) @ the moment

13. sushii

sushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I think the problem at the moment for the asian cinema scene in the "west" is that the films which get the most attention are generally ones that are violent and some people (not on this forum of course:thumbsup: ) forget about how varied it can be.

Can anyone give any suggestion on non-violent, interesting asian films?

14. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I'd try the following if you haven't already:

The King and the Clown
    The Promise (watch it then watch the Case of the Steamed Bun, which is a good p**s take of the Promise)
    Eros
    Daisy
    YMCA Baseball Team
    Raise the Red Lantern
    Three
    Gohatto
    Beijing Bicycle

Some of the above are a little older but still worth tracking down. Have you seen much of the older directors work, like Ozu or Kurosawa?

15. rhythmslave

rhythmslave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    If you're after something non-violent and moving then you have to see Nobody Knows. It's a Japanese film about four young children who are left to look after themselves by their mother. The acting is superb by all the children and the film has deservedly won numerous awards.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408664/

A few more to add to the list. Some are moving, some thought-provoking, others just fun.

Japanese Films
    Love Letter
    Be With You
    Bright Future
    Hinokio
    Kamikaze Girls
    Swing Girls
    Train Man

Korean Films
    ...ing
    Marathon a.k.a. Running Boy
    Ditto
    Failan
    Innocent Steps
    My Little Bride
    My Tutor Friend
    Art Museum By The Zoo
    Christmas in August

I hope this list is helpful. I'm sure you'll find something you like in the above list. I love them all.

16. kpjf

kpjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    In regards to Beijing Bicycle I really really didn't enjoy this, it definitely has to be one of my least favourite films ive seen recently. Maybe thats just me and others will like it but i definitely wouldn't recommend this. Would definitely recommend Nobody knows though.

If you're after non violent ones go for

scent of green papaya,
    at the height of summer aka vertical ray of the sun,
    20 30 40,
    the road home,
    Take care of my cat,
    One fine spring day,
    Barking dogs never bite,
    springtime in a small town,
    three seasons

17. sushii

sushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for the suggestions! :smashin:

Better start saving up some money...

18. kpjf

kpjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Or you can always register with screenselect or blockbuster and rent them out.

With screenselect you can get like 1 months free trial - then say you wanna quit at the end just cancel it before the trial's over and you've got a free months worth of dvd rentals!

19. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Watched 'Uzumaki' last night. Hmm, something of a disappointment, I have to say. Sort of hung together, but sort of didn't too. And worse, I found myself yawning through quite a lot of it. Not a good sign, really.

Regards

Mark

20. pags payback

pags payback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently I watched...

A Better Tomorrow II - nowhere near as good a film as the original but when you get to the final part of the film, the action kicks off bigtime. That in itself is worth watching ABT2 for imo. Good 7/10

Dragon Tiger Gate - hmmm its not a bad martial arts/comic book movie with some fairly decent fights. Luckily most of the fighting's grounded and not too wirefu or comic superhero-ish . my main problem is it would be so much better with genuine talented martial artists rather than Donnie Yen's co-stars, who do reasonably well but just can't match Donnie Yen which takes something away from the action. On the more complicated moves you can see Donnie performs the other actors fights especially near the beginning. I think the story could've been more interesting too. 6/10

21. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    The only Asian films I've seen recently is:

Kekexili - Mountain Patrol - an interesting look at poaching in some of the harshest parts of Tibet. Could be a little slow and/or up its own ... for some people.

Hidden Blade - didn't realise before I watched this that its the same basic story as Twilight Samurai. I didn't think it was as good as Twilight Samurai but it had more back story to it.

22. spuddy01

spuddy01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Just after watching Dragon Tiger Gate I really enjoyed this movie Donnie Yen proves what a great Action director/choreographer he is & I agree with pags payback that the fight scences with Donnie are much more realistic than the other 2 actors especially the final showdown which was pretty impressive!!

23. SibTiger33

SibTiger33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238

completely agree about the transfer on new police story its fantastic - one of the best pictures i've ever seen from dvd.

SPL - umm i was a little bit dissappointed to be honest (poor final fight scene):-( i hear they are making a sequel / prequel too

24. SibTiger33

SibTiger33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    dragon Tiger Gate - fantastic film - alot of action alot of fun - loved every minute of it.

I think that donnie yen is the best on screen martial artists because when he fights on screen you can always see his emotion and the fights look powerful and realistic - i.e the fight scene in SPL (not the sammo fight)

25. SibTiger33

SibTiger33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Films i would recommend

A Moment to Remember (Korean)
    Daisy (Korean)
    Infernal Affairs 1,2,3(Korean) &also US remake to compare
    Public Enemy 2 (Korean)
    Cassern (Japanese i believe)
    Il Mare
    My Sassy Girl
    Attack the Gas Station
    Fighter in the Wind
    New Police Story
    Dog Bite Dog

(ill check my dvd collection find more )

26. lordnoize

lordnoize
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Three Extremes
    Reincarnarion- fantastic, highly recommended
    Requiem From The Darkness- very scary anime

27. dem16i

dem16i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the last few days i watched..

Battlestar Galatica: Mini series and first 2 episodes of season 1.
    Several seaon 3 episodes on X FILES

Great stuff.

Sorry just noticed this is for anime...in which case, none. i did watch black jack series a year ago.

28. michael ex

michael ex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    highly recommend re-cycle the latest pang brothers film visually amazing , i read that the budget was just 5 million dollars (american or hong kong?) either way money exceptionally well spent considering how expensive it all looks.
    buy the two disc directors edition, beautiful packaging. dodgy subtitling though.
    disappointed with reincarnation lacked the suspense of his first two ju-on movies.
    just ordered shutter after reading the review posted on this forum.save that one for halloween night

29. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Dragon Tiger Gate - I watched this the other day and while I enjoyed it I didn't think it was that good. I preferred the next film.

City of Violence - Really enjoyed this even if the plot has been done a million times before in every other action scene. Really really liked the fight sequences particularly the one at the shopping centre.