What have you got yours set at?

stoomc

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am soon to be getting a Wii (cant wait) but just have a few questions. What settings do most of you have your wii set at... 480i, 480p or 576i? Am I right in saying that you can only display 60hz through 480i and 480p? I am probably not going to have component from day 1 so was just curious to what difference the different settings were like. Mainly what the difference in display looks between 480i and 576i. I have a 37" HD LCD and was wondering if it was going to fill the screen with both of these settings?
I understand that for the majority of VC games, they are still running with borders and at 50hz...is Mario running full screen and is it progressive?
Thanks for the help!
:)

I have mine running in 576i on my HD CRT, and will be running in 480p when I get round to getting the component leads.

Yes 576i is 50Hz and 480i and 480p are both 60Hz.

I am probably not going to have component from day 1 so was just curious to what difference the different settings were like. Mainly what the difference in display looks between 480i and 576i. I have a 37" HD LCD and was wondering if it was going to fill the screen with both of these settings?

It all depends on your TV and your own preferences, have a try with both and see what you think looks best. HD LCD's all tend to handle the scaling of SD signals differently. Both 576i and 480i run in widescreen when the game allows, I only have Zelda, Sports and Play at the moment and they all run in widescreen.

I understand that for the majority of VC games, they are still running with borders and at 50hz...is Mario running full screen and is it progressive?

No idea as I havnt got round to buying any Wii Points yet, but from what I heard Mario 64 run's in 480p when you have this setup (ie component cables & Wii settings).

Got mine set to 576i because 480i just looked nasty through composite, might try it again once I have an RGB Scart cable as 480i on the Gamecube through RGB Scart looked pretty good.

480p through MadCatz Component - looks very nice.

Thanks all for replying!

Scapegoat, well done on getting your cables! LOL! Can you confirm if Mario 64 runs progressive? Have you got your Component through to LCD?
Cant wait to get one, just need to get a component while I am waiting. Dont get me wrong, I'm under no illusion that a component cable will make the Wii "HD" or anything like that but I still like only the best hee hee!
It will be interesting to see if the wii looks better via RGB scart (when they come) or via progressive component...I know that seems an odd comparison but I tend to thing that my progressive scan DVD player connected via RGB scart or component look exactly the same (bizzare I know) but it is still worth checking! (and I know you cannot get progressive through RGB!)
Anyway better be off,
thanks again,
Stuart :)

Thanks all for replying!

Scapegoat, well done on getting your cables! LOL! Can you confirm if Mario 64 runs progressive? Have you got your Component through to LCD?
Cant wait to get one, just need to get a component while I am waiting. Dont get me wrong, I'm under no illusion that a component cable will make the Wii "HD" or anything like that but I still like only the best hee hee!
It will be interesting to see if the wii looks better via RGB scart (when they come) or via progressive component...I know that seems an odd comparison but I tend to thing that my progressive scan DVD player connected via RGB scart or component look exactly the same (bizzare I know) but it is still worth checking! (and I know you cannot get progressive through RGB!)
Anyway better be off,
thanks again,
Stuart :)

Connected to a Samsung LCD (the 360 demo pod TV) that usually has the 360 hooked up (this may force me to buy the surround sound amp with multiple connections to save faffing round when I switch from Wii to 360).

Looks very impressive compared my GC via RGB. Not downloaded Mario to try I'm afraid (or even tried any GC games yet).

TBH I'm not a big fan of retro gaming - I have found that with the XBLA stuff I just feel dissappointed and I DEFINITELY do not want to ruin my memoories of Nintendo classics. Besides with work, social life etc I barely have time to play all the new games nevermind repeat old ones!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom