• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What have I missed....

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
So now that we are firmly in the midst of a credit crunch I think its about time I batten down the hatches and catch up on all the shows I may have missed over the last 2 years. As has been pointed out in another thread that last US drama I enjoyed was Series 3 of Rescue Me. Was quite surprised to hear that was last aired here over 18months ago ! So basically what I'm asking is what have I missed that I can pick up on Box Sets and work my way through over the winter ? The last big US show I have classed as un-missable is Lost, outside of this I'm clueless.
A mate has recommended Battlestar Galactica which i'm quite looking forward to getting into, I have just bought all of Alias too (yeah, i never caught those first time round either :blush:) aswell as the last 4 seasons of Frasier. A mate from the xbox forum has recommended Supernatural so I might get season 1 of that and give it a whirl.

Any thoughts suggestions or general "where have you been :confused:" comments welcome :smashin:

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
not sure what you have seen?

Yes BSG is awesome sci-fi

The Kill Point - Donnie Walberg

True Blood - Anna Paquin - not yet on dvd

Oz - hear its great, not seen it yet myself

Band of Brothers

The 4400

Jericho

Stargate SG1/Atlantis

Last edited:

tichtich

Well, my favourites are Lost and BSG, which you've already mentioned, but they can't be repeated too often. Also, The Wire, which I've been watching on DVD and just finished season 3, and The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Others I really enjoy are Entourage, Supernatural, Ugly Betty and Californication.

Finally, let me throw in an off-beat suggestion of an older (and short) series that may have slipped under your radar: Greg the Bunny.

tichtich

P.S. I thought Supernatural got off to a slow-ish start, with too much monster-of-the-week for my taste, but got better in season 2. So it might be worth sticking with it if you're a bit doubtful at first.

tichtich

Any thoughts suggestions or general "where have you been :confused:" comments welcome :smashin:
Where have you been? ;)

And how is watching DVD sets a response to the credit crunch? Are you buying/renting/borrowing/stealing them? Personally, if there's stuff I can't get on Freeview, I rent the DVDs, but don't pay much for the rentals. Lovefilm keeps trying to tempt me back with 3-months-for-the-price-of-1 or 3-months-free deals, and I do most of my renting on those. Yes, I'm a cheapskate.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Where have you been? ;)

And how is watching DVD sets a response to the credit crunch? Are you buying/renting/borrowing/stealing them? Personally, if there's stuff I can't get on Freeview, I rent the DVDs, but don't pay much for the rentals. Lovefilm keeps trying to tempt me back with 3-months-for-the-price-of-1 or 3-months-free deals, and I do most of my renting on those. Yes, I'm a cheapskate.

Ahh, good question. I'm very easily led shall we say. I would typically spend £150 every friday night out boozing in Soho. So a night in with the missus catching up on a few dvds is a massive saving for me :smashin:

Looks like Supernatural (thanks for the tip, I will stick with it) & BSG are must trys, I have Season 1 of the Wire ready to go. I'm very interested in these Lovefilm trials.

rockmonkey1973

you can find lovefilm three month trial codes on hotukdeals. i have just used one to allow me to rent oz a show that i somehow missed:thumbsup:.

currently plowing through it up to season 5. it is a few years old but if you aint seen it i highly recommend it.

another vote for supernatural, the wire and bsg the first four seasons were really good but it losing its way and kinda getting lost up its own nether region now (sure lots will disagree with me). still well worth a watch.

that should keep ya going for a while.

mentalpen

24- Some of the best TV ive seen, especially the first season.

Some others NCIS, CSI vegas, Supernatural is brilliant,

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
you can find lovefilm three month trial codes on hotukdeals. i have just used one to allow me to rent oz a show that i somehow missed:thumbsup:.

currently plowing through it up to season 5. it is a few years old but if you aint seen it i highly recommend it.

I will have a hunt for that Lovefilm code today. I used to watch Oz years ago but it was always on really late. Isn't Michael from Lost in it ? His character is wheelchair bound IIRC !?

rockmonkey1973

yes he is and a lot of other characters from various shows that we all know and love pop up at one time or another. damn good series.

i only started watching the wire and supernatural last year and plowed through em in large sittings of 4-6 episodes at a time. very satisfying seeing them this way. like watching a really good long movie. i almost envy you.

both took a little time to get into. in fact the wire i turned off during the very first show of season one. it seemed like a right dodgy version of hill street blues. but my friend rated it so highly i gave it another go. i dont think i am alone here neither so bear this in mind and precivere the reward is worth the effort:thumbsup:.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
yes he is and a lot of other characters from various shows that we all know and love pop up at one time or another. damn good series.

i only started watching the wire and supernatural last year and plowed through em in large sittings of 4-6 episodes at a time. very satisfying seeing them this way. like watching a really good long movie. i almost envy you.

both took a little time to get into. in fact the wire i turned off during the very first show of season one. it seemed like a right dodgy version of hill street blues. but my friend rated it so highly i gave it another go. i dont think i am alone here neither so bear this in mind and precivere the reward is worth the effort:thumbsup:.

Very funny you should say that about the Wire as I did exactly the same thing. I have had it since release but only watched the first 3mins. I have promised to give it a chance now as it has had some great press.

I do actually prefer to be able to watch something at my own pace. Nothing worse than having a monster cliff hanger and having to wait seven days. In saying that I can't wait for Lost to start again tonight.......Sundays won't be able to come around again quick enough for the next few months !

rockmonkey1973

I do actually prefer to be able to watch something at my own pace. Nothing worse than having a monster cliff hanger and having to wait seven days. In saying that I can't wait for Lost to start again tonight.......Sundays won't be able to come around again quick enough for the next few months !

yep so do i. i did it with lost. couldnt quite get into the whole hype thing when it first screened. the marketing actually put me off. very glad it did cos when i got round to watching it three seasons had been made and i was able to watch at leisure. was blown away by the clever scripts and general concept. now i am like everyone else waiting each week for the next installment. wont spoil it but season 5 is off to a cracker.:smashin:

jamiesdad

Hi i liked the following some after recommendations from on here in no particular order:eek:
Burn notice

Spooks

Underbelly

Third watch

The wire

Life

just a few suggestions

Cheers:)

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Hi i liked the following some after recommendations from on here in no particular order:eek:
Burn notice

Spooks

Underbelly

Third watch

The wire

Life

just a few suggestions

Cheers:)

Ahh, Spooks. I really want to give this a try although I seemed to have convinced myself I don't like British dramas. Can't think of the last one I really enjoyed, I tend to find they lack the production values of US shows (fairplay the budgets are massively different).

jamiesdad

A good point :)

But to be fair there have been a couple of good British dramas

A lot of people like Hustle as well I personally fell away from it but have started to watch this series

Survivors was ok

But spooks is definitely the best ( well in my opinion anyway) with the series that has just finished i thought the best yet :thumbsup:you should give it a go you may surprise yourself and enjoy it:D:)

Cheers

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Decided to resurrect this thread and let people know (those who are interested) how I have been getting on. Got myself a 90 day free love film trial and managed to get quite a few TV boxsets ordered.

Supernatural: I'm impressed. someone earlier in the thread described the first series as a bit "monster of the week" lol ! Its a brilliant description as that exactly what I have found. Its the kind of show I would have described as un-missable when I was a kid so I'm sticking with it. It's reassuring to hear the 2nd series develops into more of a longer running series so this one is firmly a keeper.

Pushing Daisies: Its cute and a wonderfully shot show. I didn't enjoy the first few eisiodes enough to stick with it. Watching this show made me realise I am searching for a gritty drama to fill the void that the Sopranos left. I have series one of the Wire ready, look forward to seeing if it can step to the plate.

Californication: I love it. Duchovny is brilliant and revels in his role. Characters and story are fantastic, the show is a little bit of me :D A mature entourage (ish)

Chuck: I didn't really give it a chance :oops: Mainly because we are still working our way through Alias and I saw too many similarities between the two. I may go back and give it another go once I have finished Alias.

I have Dexter and Battlestar Galactica on the way. Really hope these two work there way into my schedules, both look really promising as they offer variety in plot and setting to the others I'm now enjoying.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
I dont think chuck is similar to anything out there atm.

I would recommend the following.

How I Met Your Mother
The Big Bang Theory
Psych (You dont start watching this beauty I will find you lol)
Chuck
Burn Notice

Thats pretty much all I can think of atm.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
I dont think chuck is similar to anything out there atm.

I would recommend the following.

How I Met Your Mother
The Big Bang Theory
Psych (You dont start watching this beauty I will find you lol)
Chuck
Burn Notice

Thats pretty much all I can think of atm.

Im intrigued ! haven't seen this advertised or talked about anywhere :confused: Is it a new release or can I pick it up on DVD ??

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Play.com (UK) : Psych: Season 1 (4 Discs) : DVD - Free Delivery

£15

A REAL steal.

See Here.

The actual friendship between Shawn and Gus is the most believable I have seen in any TV program and have nearly destroyed my monitor and keyboard from funny moments whilst drinking a drink.

I get them from net and go at the US pace and I have the latest one ready for when I sit down with my roast dinner later.

Cant wait for S2 to come to DVD.

Last edited:

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Oh just an update, First episode whilst I felt was really good was basically an intro so watch a few of them before judging.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Another update for those interested. Started working my way through Dexter and I am enjoying it immensely. I was slightly apprehensive as the plot sounds pretty laughable, a serial killer working as a forensic scientist sounds pretty textbook straight to video fare but I was pleasantly surprised. How the writers get the audience to still side with Dexter despite his obvious flaws(lol) is very clever and subtly done. Great characters and performances punctuated by a darkly comic and unsettling storyline, I'm only about halfway into the season but every night I'm finding myself saying "just one more epsiode" and then realising its 2am :rotfl:

So Californication and Dexter are my staples right now, once those are put to bed I shall move onto The Wire and BSG. I finished Seinfeld the other night too......massively tempting just to start the whole thing from the beginning again. I also laid my hands on Season one of Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia........shame I don't have a region 1 DVD player in the house :suicide:

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
I'm finding myself saying "just one more epsiode" and then realising its 2am :rotfl:

Dont have to tell me about that illness lol.

Let me know if you look into "Psych"

rockmonkey1973

glad you are liking dexter and supernatural. you have two cracking shows in the wire and bsg to come as well.:thumbsup:

re. pushing daises.... i gave up after about 5 episodes. i wanted to like it but in the end i realised my time is to precious to waste on stuff like that.... like a really dodgy tv version of the great amile.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom