What has happened to my aerial?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by djsteviec, Dec 5, 2018 at 2:34 PM.

1. djsteviec

djsteviec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi. I live in a 10 year old semi which came pre wired but had no aerial in the loft or outside. In facet no-one on this estate has them outside.

I fitted one of the ones below (exactly the same but a four splitter output version, still powered with a power supply) and also bought one of the cheapish signal meters. I matched it up ok and got 3 lights signalling 70dB and all TVs worked fine.

Labgear LOG Loft & Wall Aerial

SLX Digital Signal Finder

However a few months ago all of the TV's just dropped out. No picture nothing. I investigated and it was not showing 1 light which is 50dB. I now only have it connected to 2 TV's but still not getting a picture with it on 50.

I have tried moving it all around the loft and changing the F port that the power supply is plugged into (it says it can be plugged into any of the outputs) and every time I do, I get 3 lights and it works fine. Then between half hour to an hour later... dies again and goes back to 1.

I then changed the lead going from the power supply to the aerial as the other one looked like it was a little tatty and instantly got 3 lights. FANTASTIC. For an hour, then went back to one.

I have since bought one of these... tried all over the loft, managed to get a max of 2 bars which is 60dB from it (even tried with the booster from the other one and got no improvement) however this was not good enough for the TVs to pick up.

Labgear X-Beam Mast Aerial

A local sole trader aerial man has quoted me a minimum of £200 just to come and have a look! Hence I would really love to crack this on my own.

Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas as to what it could be? It was fine for about a year, then started playing up.

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    So the TVs also work fine for the first hour?

Is it possible to use the log periodic aerial without the amplifier? It'd be interesting to know if the signal strength stays the same over time. Your TV's signal strength indicator may offer better granularity than the handheld tester.

Which transmitter are you on? The X-beam aerials behave similarly to Yagis with a shallower drop-off at lower frequencies than at high, so the wideband ones tend to have their peak gain at high frequencies and aren't particularly good at low.

If you don't have any other amplifier/booster in the circuit that's the first thing to try rather than a third aerial, unless you have reason to believe the signal is particularly tenuous where you are (in which case you'll likely need one anyway).

3. djsteviec

djsteviec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

4. djsteviec

djsteviec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorted. It was the power supply to the aerial. Screwfix sells them on their own, popped and got one and working fine. Thanks.