1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What has had the most impact on your life?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Stuart Wright, Aug 22, 2005.

?
  1. God

23 vote(s)
    41.8%
  2. Star Trek

32 vote(s)
    58.2%
  1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,408
    God or Star Trek?
    Let's put it another way (because I think this is an interesting question).
    Now some people believe in God and Some people enjoy Star Trek.
    Star Trek painted a very optomistic future for mankind. No poverty, everyone is equal, most diseases are cured and mankind is selflessly working for the fulfillment of himself and others. The phenomenon that is Star Trek has become a religion for some people and has changed the way they live their lives much more than, say Christianity.
    Sometimes people credit religion with the moral code that guides our society and might therefore in a much more general way credit religion with a bigger overall influence on their lives. Whether you believe that to be true or not, this question is more to do with how it's affected you personally on a day-to-day basis. For a superficial example, have you spent more time watching Star Trek than being in a church?
    In that vein I was wondering how many people have had their lives effected/influenced more by Star Trek than god? This question is more for people who believe in god than aethesist science fiction fans like me.

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,408
    I have to apologise to all the people who's posts I have deleted.
    I wanted to refocus the point of this thread onto the influence of Star Trek vs the influence of god in your lives rather than the argument which arose because of my initial choice of words in the thread.

3. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Lol mine was actually about the discussion.

Personally neither have really influenced me as a person, both are impossible in my world (science world). If I was looking for one that has most changed my surroundings I would most certainly choose God... :p

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Well, I watch more startrek, than I do songs of praise ;)
    I would like to belive that there is somthing when we all depart this mortal world, But I am not a follower of any religous faith. I guess If I had to make a choice it would be Trek.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,753
    I've never liked Star Trek and don't believe in God, so can I have an extra option please - football maybe :)

6. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thora Hirds a hottie :devil: . Paint her green and Kirk would hit it like it was Klingon.

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Whether or not you believe in "God" I think it would be very difficult to argue that the concept of "God" has not had a profound effect on pretty much every aspect of western ( and many other) civilisations for the last few millennia. Art , Architecture , Printing , Music , Literature and thats just the most obvious ones.

Take champagne for instance...invented by monks...would never have happened without "God".

Star Trek on the other hand has advanced the development of hideous , ugly collectable plates and chess sets.

8. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    a) many would say that 'it was invented without God' ... you would have to rephrase your statement including 'the belief in'

b) ... I seriously doubt it would remain 'uninvented' simply because monks did not exist.
    Human beings have been making alcohol from types of fruits and grains for millenia, we would be calling it something else, but it would most likely have been made at some point ( just look at the range and diversity of alcohol and associated beverages across the world in all the different cultures )

You could equally say - that without the relegious establishments dictated rules and punishing people for questioning 'Gods will' ... far more scientific discoveries would have been made earlier in history.
    Galileo would not have had to recant his writings and stop teaching that the Earth revolved around the Sun .....

Those that spout Relegious belief and denounce modern science as simply another faith .... should always remember that it was Science that fought to teach the truth - the Church fought to keep the lies.

9. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    "God" has impacted all of our lives - mostly without us even thinking about it, or perhaps realising it. Religion impacts on all of us whether we like it or not - think 9/11 or 7/7 - these were all done in the name of 'God'.

Would we have had Christmas without God? I know it was originally a pagan festival that was hijacked by Christians, but it seems now that it has gone back to its roots in a way. Even the Japanese celebrate Christmas.

As for Star Trek... I seem to remember a lot of people putting down 'Jedi' as their religion at the last census, rather than 'Trekkie'.

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Well as we are talking about what DID actually happen and as champagne was first made by monks in a monastery that would not have existed without a specific organised religion that has a belief in the existence of "God" at its core.

You might also comment that you doubt radar would have remained uninvented without WW2 but thats not actually what happened.

11. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    "God" has not .... a large number of humans having faith in one form of deity or another has.

it is not a singluar 'God' its simply 'faith'. When you say "God" in our society it has a specific context ... but world wide the context and meanings change.
    There are 2 Billion people in India and China for example that would have a differing concept to the way you have used the term.

12. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
    Well I am one of those Jedi...

For me, leaving the whole belief argument out of it, religion hasn't particularly affected my life in any way. I celebrate christmas only because others do, and (the vast majority of) others' celebration of Christmas has little or nothing to do with Christ these days.
    It (religion) may have had an effect on the world at large over history, but equally I don't credit the world at large with having any real infuence on my own life at least... I got myself into any mess I made for myself, and have usually got myself out of it too..

Startrek, gives me hope for the future.. that one day replicator technology will become reality and we will all be saved from the one true evil on this planet, money.

13. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    neither figure in my life...what kind of thread is this?

14. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the risk of being accused of Nerdism: weren't the Jedis in Star Wars?

15. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    radar is an invention ... chamapagne is a discovery.

Champagne was discovered simply because a natural process occured in wine - they didn't even know what was happening.... someone happened to notice it first and gets credit for it ....
    ( wine from the year before that had not been drunk ... the yeast came out of hibernation in the spring and started to ferment again .... to say that someone else would never have noticed that is simply daft )

If you were to specifiy invention that relied heavily on advanced scientific concepts, you may have had a stronger arguement ( but still flawed ) - such as the atomic bomb which required Einsteins work and revolutionary ideas.
    But that is not to say that it would NEVER have happened.

Many inventions occur in parallel - especially in early history when for example things were invented in Russia or the far East with no connection to the same ideas being developed and invented independantly in the West.

Television, the radio, optical lenses, mathematics ( 3d geometry ) etc etc ... where all invented independantly in different parts of the world. We often find in the west that items we believe we were the first to invent happen to have been invented hundreds of years before in the East.

All you can say is that certain discoveries and inventions happened historically at a certain point relative to the culture that made use of them .... but you can't say they would never have been invented ( or at some point in the future )

a humans inventiveness is the key - and there are alot of inventive humans.

16. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    You are now idly arguing semantics. Delineating a discovery or an invention is completely irrelevant. Seperating discovery from invention or theory from application is a completely moot point. What actually transpired to make it happen?

Champagne invented or discovered by monks who would not have existed without an organised religion that had at its core a belief in an almighty creator ie: God.

What actually happened is the key. Not some flim flam facile semantic argument of whether its a discovery or an invention.

17. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    rubbish

it was 'discovered'

it is a natural process

it did not require special magical thoughts - or in any way shape or form someone to have been in a theological order to be the first to notice it.

You might was well say that Uranus would never have existed had not William Herschel spotted it in 1781.

Its was there waiting ... just like champagne..... ooow look, that wine bottle from last year has blow its cork and is fizzing ......
    ... no hang on, I can see that it could never of happened without it 'specifically having being someone trained in the worship of God ... because he had magic relgious eyes'
    :suicide:

..... by the way it was NOT discovered by just monks ... its credited to Dom Perignon ( the monk ) because he managed to cork it.....

Note: it would be an idea to do a web search on champagne production / history and induced fermentation to see that its not a process that required any sort of technical leaps. Its down to geography, climate and time not technique.

18. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Star Trek is way better than church. I never moaned when it was on when I was a kid but when I had to go to church I would moan for days.

I think the underlying message on startrek is to illustrate what mankind could achieve if they worked together. I think one of christianitys mixed messages :rolleyes: is that as well :D

19. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I think more in terms of 'science fiction' rather than narrowing it down to simply one example of the genre.

As a genre, it has challenged many of us to actually consider the far future, and the potental of mankind ... for good and bad. Its driven invention ideas and culture, and helps make us more concious of the environment and our planet ... interms of our legacy for future generations.

Making characters that we can relate to set in the future gives us more of a connection to it ... makes it more real to consider what he world might be like for our great great great grandchildren.

20. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    What is the point of this thread?

It seems that Stuart has a problem with people that believe in God...

Extract from another post by Stuart: "....you'd think they were barmey. I have the same opinion of people who believe in god, that's all."

Has this forum become that boring, that threads need to be started that are sure to cause offence to some members? That's a little childish, isn't it?

And am I alone in thinking that it's wrong for someone who has editorial control over this site to (a) start a thread which he must surely know will quickly decend into a slanging match, and then (b) gets to decide which posts get pulled and who gets a ban?

Come on Stuart...is this really the level that this forum has reached?

And in case anyone is wondering...I don't believe in God, but I respect the fact that others do, and certainly wouldn't use their faith as a means to ridicule them.

21. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    yes... I should have been clearer. It seems that Star Wars seems to be taken (almost) as a religion already, rather than Star Trek which is just a TV series ;)

22. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Ah come one now its not that offensive.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion . I for one can't stand the jocks apart from Gordon ( he's ok) . Most of the blokes are fat cowardly half-wits and the women are just far too much trouble considering how average most of them look and how seldom they give it out.

I wish they'd pay all Scottish people in England a generous repatriation fee ( say equivalent to 5 years salary) tax free and just send the mall back to where they came from.

23. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    The question was "what has had the most impact on your life? - God or Star Trek"

The 9/11 and 7/7 attacks were done 'in the name of God'. Who cares whether it's a different God, or in this case the same God that Christians and Jews believe in.

Fact is, the attacks were done in the name of God. So therefore "God" has a had a pretty major impact on mine and many others lives.

24. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i thought Gene Roddenberry was god :confused:

Gary

25. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I understand what you mean ... the problem is that not everyone can seperate the context.

When you say 'God' to people they have a specific notion of what that God is and represents etc.

For most people here, when you say 'God' they will automatically associate that with the Western Christian idea. .... ie the word has specific conations depends where you live / what your faith is.

Its better to use a more universal definition so people are clear as to the intent and meaning of your arguement.

26. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Religion?

27. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    IMHO the forum administrator has the religious equivilent of homophobia.

28. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    A definition of God will naturally vary from one religion or country so how can there be a universal definition of God? When by it's very nature 'God' is not universally defined by all these different religions. There is a Christian definition, a muslim definition, Hindu definition etc.

I was looking at the universal idea of there being "A God" in some peoples eyes, whoever or whatever this God is. It's the generic idea of God that has impacted on people's lives for better or for worse.

29. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

:rotfl: :rotfl:
    They did used to call him the great bird of the Galaxy.

I might start a religon based on a TV show..........

The folowers of the lords of KOBOL :rotfl:

There should have been a Battlestar option on the poll!!! :D

30. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    In Startrek 5
    They went to find GOD, found the devil and inturn found the humanity within themselves.
    Now thats deep :)