What hard disk specs to look out for when upgrading

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Ash007, Jul 10, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to get a bigger (120gb) hard disk for my Sky+. What difference to function will having 5400 or 7200rpm, and what difference again with 2mb or 8mb cache. Which features are preferable for Sky+ ?

Cheers,

Ash

2. patr1ck

patr1ck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm looking to upgrade myself.

The speed (5400/7200) makes no difference to any of the features. However the software waits a certain length of time for the disk to run up to speed. As the 7200 disk takes longer to run up to speed this means you might get a disk failure with some disks.

The main differences you should be looking for are quiteness and heat dissipation which probably means that a 5400 disk would be better.

To be completely safe a disk of the same type (but bigger size) as the original (Maxstor) would probably be the best bet.

I have noticed on varous web sites that some people have successfully used a 7200 drive but I think one is increasing the chance of a failure!

As the disk can easily keep up with the datastreams the cache size will make no difference!

Pat

3. philinman

philinman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I fitted an IBM/Hitachi 180GXP (123GIG) 7200rpm ATA100
    The hard drive i removed from V2 box a maxtor 40GIG

Well the drive seems to be working fine and is VERY quite quite impressed as it was only £77 from ebuyer.com

Fitting was easy as once the cover was removed it was only 4 screws holding the hard drive to caddy with some anti-vibration feet.
    Drive fitted in well so i will keep testing and keep everyone informed either way been running for 4 weeks no problems the new hdd runs a lot cooler than the maxtor that was fitted by sky

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheap as chips

4. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I'm using a Samsung 120 GB drive (5400 RPM) from DABS in my Sky+ & another one in my Xbox, in both units its very quiet (you can only hear it if you put your ear up to the case) & runs cool.

5. JJman

JJman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FYI, the 7200rpm drive will provide faster read/write times than a 5400rpm. Also, the V2 comes standard with an ATA133 7200rpm Maxtor drive! it would seem, an upgrade from previous versions...

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +889
    I would look for the drive that generates the smallest amount of heat, if I were you. It gets VERY hot inside a Sky+ box even with the standard drive. You may also prefer a drive that is quiet in operation, as the disk spins all the time in a Sky+ box, and if it whines it will drive you nuts.

As far as Sky+ is concerned the read/write performance of the drive is absolutely irrelevant.

7. owenw

owenw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Check out the links I posted under the "Sky+ Hard Drive Capacity" thread. Includes a step-by-step installation guide (with photos), and a list of drives which work with Sky+

OwenW

8. philinman

philinman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My first V2 had a 5400 drive in it ata 133 maxtor my new 1 i havent opened yet but will check it out soon.
    My fist box was changed because of the Magic eye problem

9. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I certainly wouldn't use a 7200 drive in either....too noisy and hot.

I'm looking for a quiet 5400 120gb drive for my new Tivo. Any recommendations? I saw a Samsung V80 on their site, which was fluid bearing, but can't see where I can buy it (only the V60, which isn;t fluid bearing).

The Diamondmax 16 has also been recommended. Anyone know of a site that's done a comparison of 5400 dries with the emphasis on noise (or lack of!)?

10. philinman

philinman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

with my 7200 drive fitted the fan in box hardley ever comes on but when i had the orig maxtor the fan would be on alot and the box would would hot to touch .
    With the Hitachi fitted the box is only room temp
    the drive preformes very well :hiya: :hiya:

11. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +889
    Try Storage Review.