What Hard Disk? Replacement Wanted

Twon

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Going Digital only, I think my HD will get filled quickly.

What HD are people installing? I've done a search for Hard Disk and it brought up no results (which was strange).

:)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Is it like the P.S.3 and needs the 9.5mm hard drive?

Last edited:
Is it like the PS3 and needs the 9.5mm hard drive?
yes , 9.5mm or smaller ,
it's the same in stalling the OS as well , download the latest ps4 software, to a usb drive with a file on it saying "ps4" in that "update" in that the file..

I installed the seagate sshd at launch, running great

I cocked up as I didn't know there was a cloud save option, but I ordered the one below for 58 quid delivered, thought it would be ideal in the ps4 as it runs much cooler than the other types. Can't afford a fancy fast one with a big memory.

I've ordered this....https://www.dabs.com/products/1tb-red-sata-6gb-s-16mb-2-5--hard-drive-8YPN.html
I'm at least in the position of being able to put the originall HDD back in if it goes wrong again. This is very very poor from Sony IMO.

Do any of you think it would be worth putting a hybrid drive in?

Do any of you think it would be worth putting a hybrid drive in?

a few people have put the "hybrib" sshd in ,
you will get a fast loading time in when starting up and loading games , but to be honest it's only by a few seconds , so for an extra £40 on a standard drive ,only to save a few seconds , in my eyes seems like a waste of money .

I agree. Money was an issue with me. I don't think it's really reasonable to pay £350 for a console then another 100 on top because they're too tight with the standard HDD.

I'm no-where near filling the HD up, but I remember it happened very quickly on my launchday PS3. I think that saw 2 HD replacements (through choice).

It seems strange you can get a HD out of an EX HD Drive cheaper than buying one 'nude'.

Last edited:
a few people have put the "hybrib" sshd in ,
you will get a fast loading time in when starting up and loading games , but to be honest it's only by a few seconds , so for an extra £40 on a standard drive ,only to save a few seconds , in my eyes seems like a waste of money .
Thanks for that think I will look at going for size of hard drive rather than speed

It seems strange you can get a HD out of an external HD Drive cheaper than buying one 'nude'.

as there isn't many 2tb 2.5 sizes round, i think company's will try there best to keep the price up on "nude" ones
but there's always someone who knows how get around things like this
like, taking it out of a external one .

New HDD in, the hardest part was getting the boot code from the memory stick to work. I'm really happy with my choice, it's designed to be used in a nas and is designed to run cool for long periods.

I put a 2tb in yesterday used the segate from above was hard getting it out of its case with out damaging the case wanted to keep it to put the 500g drive in
All in all glad I have done it have 1700g to use after firmware install
Reinstalling all the games is taking its time though

I put a 2tb in yesterday used the segate from above was hard getting it out of its case with out damaging the case wanted to keep it to put the 500g drive in
All in all glad I have done it have 1700g to use after firmware install
Reinstalling all the games is taking its time though

If I may ask, where did you purchase your 2tb drive from.

Attachments

• 2014-06-09 13.22.31.jpg
    2014-06-09 13.22.31.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 2014-06-09 13.21.24.jpg
    2014-06-09 13.21.24.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 88
  • 2014-06-09 13.22.00.jpg
    2014-06-09 13.22.00.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 2014-06-09 13.22.18.jpg
    2014-06-09 13.22.18.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
be warned about samsung extrenal HDD's like Samsung M3 Slimline 2TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

On some of these the HDD are native usb 3.0 like this one i picked up thinking i'd get a samsung 2tb M9T for my PS4. there are no sata connectors, just USB3.0

I don't think this is the case with seagate yet but still. be warned!!
thank you ,
iv just been to pc world and was going to get the seagate 2tb , but there didn't have any in stock
and was looking at the samsung "the one you mentioned" and also the "wd my passport ultra" as there both "looked" like to be the correct size , but i was a bit hesitant, as £89 is a lot to lose if it didn't work ,
pleased you have bought this up .

Well i have other uses for mine, I opened the case pretty clean too.

Looks like I need to track down a segate backup plus version, I dare not try the seagate expansion 2.5" drive now I know that there are native usb3.0 drives in the wild.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom