1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happens to Sky digital cables etc when I receive Sky+ box?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by chrisjoanne, Oct 6, 2004.

1. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi (again)

Can someone tell me what happens to all the cables etc that I presently use for Sky digital when I receive my Sky+ box next week.

Am I correct in thinking the cable will just come out of the Digital box and placed directly into the Sky+ box without any new LNB's etc ?

Or, do I receive a new LNB with new cabling from that into the back of the new Sky+ box?

Therefore I can use the cabling I have now and use the Sky digital box in the kids bedroom (I realise I will only receive the free channels, but it will be cheaper than getting freeview).

I want to know what happens prior to installation so I know the installation guys aren't doing a "half job". If its easier for them to just pull a cable out and then plug it into another box, they might just do that. But if the correct installation is totally new cabling THAT is what I want.

Thanks for your help
    Chris
    cheap deals and cracking offers

2. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    With my installation a couple of weeks ago, I had a new quad LNB and one new cable. The new and existing cables were connected to the LNB and the back of the Sky+ box and that was it!

Totally new cabling should not be required unless there is something wrong with the existing one. You could always try asking for it though, I don't think there would be a problem. Especially if you offer the installer a cup of tea.

3. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,615
    As you already have a cable run , they will probably just run another legth along side it. SKY+ needs 2 runs from the dish. You could ask them to run the shotgun cable they use (basically 2 cables stuck together) this would involve no extra work ,and enable you to do what you want with the existing run.
    They will also replace the lnb on the end of the dish for a Quad unit (more than likely)
    Make sure they realign the dish after everything is changed , the extra weight of the lnb and cables might be enough to misalign the dish

atb
    JS

4. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks for your quick replies.
    chris

5. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just for added info, you will need a second Sky card to receive the free channels such as ITV etc using your old box. When you get your new SKY+ the installer will transfer your existing card to your new box therfore leaving your old box without. I don't know if you can still get hold of cards for getting the free channels anymore but when they were available they cost around 23 pounds?

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    No offical source for FTV cards at this time but SKY are expected for the first time to sell them direct to the UK public fairly soon (end Oct) rumoured to be for £20.