1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happens to 5.1 with a 6.1 setup?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by xio, Dec 10, 2002.

1. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably a daft question, but if you have a 6.1 setup and play 5.1 discs through it, does the centre rear speaker do anything ?

Just looking to set up my speakers and the advice appears to be that if you're using 6.1 that the surrounds should/could be slightly in front of the listening position (which sort of suits my furniture/room arrangement).

ta

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Hi

With most amps you have the option to turn on/off the rear centre speaker so the choice is yours.

When you play a 5.1 track through a 6.1 system you will get output from the rear centre speaker as well (it undergoes matrix processing which extracts information that is in the left & right surround channels). Dolby EX and DTS ES Matrix use this kind of processing whereas DTS ES Discrete is a true 6.1 format.

Ideally the left & right surrounds would be positioned directly to the sides but can be placed slightly behind or forward and angled to the listening position. The rear centre speaker should really be at least a meter behind the listening position to get the best effect.

3. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "The rear centre speaker should really be at least a meter behind the listening position to get the best effect."

This may be so, but how many people have at least a meter behind their listening position? I certainly dont!

This may put people off of using ex/es.

If you dont have that much room at the rear, try and move your rear L and Rs forward a little, and try a couple of mission biploar m7ds behind you for rear centre.

You will get the desired ex/es behind you effect, and thats exactly what you want. Wether its 1 foot, 2 foot, 1m or 2m does not matter.

My (very) humble opinion ofcourse. I just dont want to put people off using ex/es if they dont have at least a meter behind them. I think its more a preference based on room size and what kind of rear speaker you are using.

I say as long as you get that "behind you" effect, it dosen't matter how far behind you they are.

Also, some amps use a thx ultra 2 mode to make 5.1 material 7.1 as thx believe you shouldnt use matrix processing as it collapses the sound field or something like that. But then, what do they know!

Hope this helps!

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Somebody suggested pointing the centre rear upwards if you are short of space

5. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. The problem I have is that the seating position is in a bay window (with curtains - an accoustic nightmare!), so the surrounds really need to go in front of the seating position pointing back, and there ain't going to be a whole lot of deflection off the rear "wall". I could probably just about manage a metre between the centre rear and my ears though.

6. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "surrounds really need to go in front of the seating position pointing back"

This should be fine for your 6.1 setup. My a1sr manual recommends this position for 7.1 cinema.

Home Cinema is always going to be a comprimise unless you have mega bucks.

I'm sure your setup will sound great, regardless of your bay window, which is what its all about.

Enjoy!

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Having played about with various speaker positions, types etc. The rear centre speaker should be placed behind you, the further back the better. Having it slap bang above your head, for example if you have a sofa against a rear wall, doesn´t give you sensation of depth behind.

You can get around it to some extent by angling the speaker down towards the listening position but I´ll stick with my comments of placing the speakers at least a meter behind to get the desired effect. Rather than compromise, better to stick with a 5.1 setup I.M.O.;)

Best thing is to try various setup positions yourself and stick with what sounds best to you.:)

8. klnc

klnc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    About a month ago I added 2 surround back speakers to my setup, just as an experient before we move and I can get the speakers better placed. They were only a ropey old pair of Gale bookshelfs, so i wasn't expecting marvels. They were placed on a window shelf (about 90cm apart) right above the sofa, which backs on to that wall giving about 30 - 50cm gap behind at most depending how you're sitting! Then using an SPL, turned the levels right down. Still, was absolutely blown away even in this far from ideal scenario when watching normal 5.1 matrixed to 6.1 or DD EX / DD ES discs.

This was only supposed to be a quick experiment while the bird was away, but I was so impressed they've stayed ever since (well until we move that is).