• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What Happens if you get Speaker wires the wrong way round?

jezzer256

Established Member
I don't know the posh word for it; I mean the two wires that go into the back of each speaker. If you put them in the wrong way round, what happens?

I know for a fact that I've put one in the wrong way round but can't hear any problems. Does it matter?

Jez

ben.bayliss

Established Member
If one speaker is out of phase, then it will cancel with the sound from other speakers. This is most noticable with bass frequencies which will largely disappear.

What's written on the cable itself doesn't matter, just that positive on the amp ends up as positive on the speaker. If you can't hear anything wrong, then you've nothing to worry about.

jezzer256

Established Member
If one speaker is out of phase, then it will cancel with the sound from other speakers. This is most noticable with bass frequencies which will largely disappear.

What's written on the cable itself doesn't matter, just that positive on the amp ends up as positive on the speaker. If you can't hear anything wrong, then you've nothing to worry about.

Well I know for definite one of my rear speakers (can't remember which one) is plugged in the wrong way round. But I'm no audio connoisseur so I don't think I'd notice things like bass frequencies disappearing!

But I guess if it sounds alright to me then I won't worry about it. To be honest I don't even know if the rear speakers are plugged in the right way round - the rear left might be plugged into the rear right socket (on the amp) and vice versa!

Cheers

Jez

jezzer256

Established Member
Do you have any DVDs with the THX Optimiser extras? They're pretty good for basic checks.

Oh quite possibly; I'll have a look. Any pointers as to which ones might have it (I have a lot of modern action / thriller films) - does it say on the box or do I have to manually try each one?

Thanks

Jez

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom