• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What happens if you are left handed??

Jay_N

Established Member
Silly question I know,
Just been taking some shots and my pay ask to hold my beast:thumbsup:
He is left handed and mentioned the camera is the wrong way round. Do you just have to adapt?

ps Sorry for the silly question.
J

ape1

Established Member
Im Left handed and you just accept this type of thing as normal...I have never thought about it..its things like golf clubs etc that need to be driffent..how about the car??...how do Right handers manage the gear stick??
I know they make all sorts of thing for left handed people but I have never found the need for this, you just accept things for what they are...my right hand works nearly as well as my left!

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
But if you are left handed then isn't it normal anyway?

Surely, the left hand on a left handed person is as dominant as the right hand on a right handed person, so the natural adaptation is made?

Not something I had ever thought of to be honest.

ape1

Established Member
Funny enough when i had my first PC it had a pull out section on the desk for the mouse and at the time I could only use this on the right side so I used my right hand (never used a mouse before) and now I find it almost impossible to do it with my "natural" left hand...
and yes being left handed is normal just as much as right handed..I do not find it a problem any more than a right handed person does.
My father was a natural left hander but this was not allowed at his school and was made to use his right hand, he could in later life, write with both hands and in two driffernt styles

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
stevegreen said:
But if you are left handed then isn't it normal anyway?

Surely, the left hand on a left handed person is as dominant as the right hand on a right handed person, so the natural adaptation is made?

Not something I had ever thought of to be honest.

God, I talk some rubbish when i've had a drink! :laugh:

johndow

Established Member
I am left handed and never had a problem. As most people say, you have to adapt. But then again, i use my right hand for as many things as my left hand (apart from writing)

And my mouse is at my right hand!!

JD

Gadget Daddy

Prominent Member
im left handed also its not an issue, there is no adapting as such as its the natural way you hold/us it, its not as though you once used it another way then have to change then you would need to adapt at that point.

Pete

WibXL

Prominent Member
johndow said:
I am left handed and never had a problem. As most people say, you have to adapt. But then again, i use my right hand for as many things as my left hand (apart from writing)

And my mouse is at my right hand!!

JD

Same here, left hand for writing and right for pretty much everything else. I think it's because I grew up playing on computers and consoles and generally speaking all of the control methods are laid out for right handed people and I've just become used to it.

GrahamC

Established Member
The only time I notice being left handed is using Scissors and Ink pens which are right handed biased. :cool: .

Pink Fairy

Established Member
I find that the eye you use to look through the viewfinder has more impact than lefthand/righthand controls If i used my right eye, i'd be smearing the monitor with my nose, using my left eye I occasionally alter the focus points with my nose.

PaulBoy

Established Member
Another "lefty" here who has no problem using a "right handed" camera though I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous (sorry I'll get my coat!)
Paul ;)
BTW - Despite being left-handed I play golf right-handed (my wife always says I am an awkward git!)

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom