1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happens if there is a power cut when your projector is on?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sanjuro, May 23, 2004.

1. sanjuro

sanjuro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What will happen to the bulb ? will it blow ? because it cant cool down at its normal rate with fan assistance.Has anyone had a power cut while watching a film, if so what happened ? i think we get at least 2 a year.

sanjuro

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    in that case get a UPS unit that way less hassle and no chance of a power cut blowing the bulb. Although not good for the unit i dont think it would necessarily kill the bulb but defo not good for it.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    There was a thread like this over at avs where Bob Williams of Infocus basically said that their pjs were designed not to be heat damaged by a mains fail.

He also said the main problem was re-igniting the lamp soon afterwards if it hadn't cooled down properly. It would ignite OK if it was left long enough though.

I've no idea about other projectors, but it seems it's the surrounding components that are more susceptable to damage rather than the lamp.

Gary.

4. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If this were to happen, would it be worth sticking a fan or something near the pj vent and having it blow into it when the power comes back?

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I would say it it is dependant on how long you have it on. If its been one for 4 - 5 hours and the power went....I think there would be some heat damage to the bulb without fan assisted cooling.

Just my honest opinion. Even with the fan on high and proper ventilation these things get really really hot.

6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Don't know about you, but I watch my Projector at night and in a dark room.
    If the power went, I wouldn't be able to see a thing so the idea of holding fan up to cool it down is a non starter.

A UPS might be an option, but ones providing sufficient wattage for a reasonable length of time aren't that cheap. Not worth it in my opinion!

If your PJ was damaged by a power failure (and I think you'd be a tad unlucky if it was) could you not claim on your insurance and get a nice new one?

7. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've had several power failures whilst my PJ (AE100) is running and I've had no problems so far. I can't believe any manufacturer would build a PJ without the thought that this may happen from time to time....or supply a PJ with an inferior power supply... :oops: :laugh:

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I disagree. A UPS should be used in an area prone to power failures.

2/3 minutes is plenty to turn off a PJ "properly". Better than asking "where's the best place to find a new lamp" or "I'm fighting with my house insurers for a replacement PJ" etc.

:smoke:

9. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    When/if I get a projector I would power off (standby - not powerswitch) when I've finished using it so that the fan would run. If I had a UPS as Kramer said it would only need to run for a few minutes in the event of a power cut it would beep. Then I'd power down the projector and use the remaining UPS juice to let the fan do it's cooling job after which I switch off power if needed.

One idea - if using pc you could get a UPS with serial port to connect to the pc. Then you'd install relevant monitoring software. What would be ideal is if you could somehow capture an event from the software reporting powerloss and use it to trigger an IR transmitter like IRman (maybe something like girder can help - never used it myself) and send a discrete IR "off" code (hopefully projector has this) to the projector. If you could use your pc to power down the PJ via rs232, that would also be useful.