1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happens if I remove my Sky plus hard drive?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Dr Hobo, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Dr Hobo

Dr Hobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,

I have an old Pace v1 Sky plus box, but am no longer subscribed to sky. I do not have a freeview box, so I sometimes use the skyplus box to view some of the free digital channels.

Now here is my question: If I was to remove the hard drive (for use in a PC) would it still function as a reciever, or would it crash completely?

I have read many many threads on replacing the hard drive, but have yet to find any information on HDD removal. Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The box would not start up without a working drive installed.

3. Dr Hobo

Dr Hobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. I might replace the drive with a smaller 10gig drive. Any idea whether there is a minimum drive size needed?

4. anthonyg

anthonyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know it's not the same model, but my amstrad did (took longer than normal to start though)

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Somebody recently removed the drive from their box, and it refused to start, as reported in these forums. That's all I really know on the subject. If I had a Sky+ box and didn't need the Sky+ functionality any more, I would put it on Ebay and buy an ordinary Sky box. Sky+ V2 boxes fetch good prices.