What happens at a Hindu wedding?

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am going to a Hindu wedding in a couple of weeks and don't know much about what happens. What do I need to take with me and what sort of present should I buy? Is a Hindu wedding the one where they give money to the couple? Sorry to sound like an idiot but I honestly haven't a clue...

Thanks

Hi Ian, unfortunately my PC here has a stupid thing called "Surf Control" which prevents me from viewing this stuff...

Just copy what everyone else does (don't copy the mother and father of the bride & groom). Take a load of cash with you in fivers. As for presents go, it's usually only close family that give wedding presents. Everyone else gives money to the couple.

Apart from that, have fun! Oh yeah, they light a fire during the cermony - which is great :thumbsup: BTW, you should know I'm Sikh, not Hindu. I've just been to a couple of Hindu weddings.

cool, thank you...I will make sure I have a few fivers.

Basically you'll head down to the venue and from there have some drinks etc. no food from start until the end of the ceremony, then head inside or out to the area they will perform the ceremony (about two hours, imagine wedding wovs but in a different language with some spiritual stuff chucked in, walking round some small fires etc. If the pundit is any good he'll explain in english what is happening- basically just bonding of two people but in a different way to christian marriage). Then snacks, then mingling, then dinner, then speeches from father of bride etc. In hindu wedding the father of the son is seen as the one giving his son away as opposed to giving a daughter away, so there will be lots of references to him during the ceremony. The ceremony is just a big circle around the centre, in the centre is sat immediate family to bride and groom, in there the ceremony takes place, lots of metaphors for later lfie done visually etc. At the end of the ceremony all guests throw flowers over bride and groom to show there blessings, thats about the most major thing you will have to do. Sorry if that was a bit confusing but i wrote it as i remembered it. Good food and drink though :smashin: - just tank yourself up to take some major spicy food.

Sorry to jump in, but I'm best man to a mate who's having both a Hindu ceremony and then a church number the day after. He's not got a clue what's gonna happen at the Hindu one, but is there the equivalent of a best man role?? Or can I get away with just queitly hiding in the corner until the booze comes out!

If I could have one forum exterminated from the internet it would be the confetti forums its basically a place where women meet and plot the enslavement of men:devil:
One by one I have watched my friends fall to the dark side! Men you have been warned.:D

Seriously its a great site to go to for all your wedding question needs:)

My wedding was hindi (I am not). The weddings can vary. In some the meal occurs half way through the ceremony. The couple stay up there and everyone else goes off for the food. I think it is does this was as traditionally the ceremony can be very long. My wedding was not like this. We had a registry in the morning then a Hindi ceremony with about 100 guests in the afternoon. The ceremony, as other have said, has the couple and some of their family in a circle in a small temple at the front. There is fire and stuff is thrown in it. Walk around the fire with some single girls and throw more stuff in fire. Mother in law fed me some thing and that was about it.

At the start on the ceremony I had to smash a little pot on the ground. This was quite amusing as one of the guests arrived late and stood on the already broken pot. She thought she had broken it looked very sheepish and then she snuck off to her seat thinking no one had seen anything :rotfl:

The food is the best bit. Rather than re-heated and crap Sunday lunch you obviously get a full curry. Yum yum

I remember going to a wedding of the son of the guy who ran our local curry house about ten years ago. Was three days long and all we did was eat curry with our hands (and play spot the white guy who drinks out of the handwashing bowl). I still have never found a curry that tasted that good!!!

For the best man tell him to have a speech prepared for during the meal, aside from that nothing much.

thank you for all the replies...I am looking forward to it...I only had my first curry ever this year (it was mild) so at least I will provide some amusement to the guests when they see how many shades of purple and red my face can achieve...

Liam @ Prog AV said:
I remember going to a wedding of the son of the guy who ran our local curry house about ten years ago. Was three days long and all we did was eat curry with our hands (and play spot the white guy who drinks out of the handwashing bowl). I still have never found a curry that tasted that good!!!

mate that is hilarious! :rotfl: i told my mate who was chineze that the biggest insult you could do to an asian was eat curry with a knife and fork so i watched him attempt to eat it with his hand( picture someone burning their fingers on hot curry here) , until my sister came in and had a massive go at me for taking the mick

I once so nearly fell victim to the same gag! :D

I was seeing an Indian girl and got invited round to her mum's place for tea.... mum had been cooking literally all afternoon so I was well and truly on edge already. I love 'indian' food, but had absolutely no idea what a real curry was going to be like, and had voiced a few concerns on the way there..... big mistake! :rotfl:

She nearly had me until she offered to 'get you some chopsticks, if you think you'll burn your fingers' :D

Fortunately for me, I'm not (quite) as dumb as I look.

Worst thing was, her mum was right in on the gag too! not a single fork to be seen anywhere! :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom