1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happened when I tried to buy large panel t.v.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Faust, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I went into my local independent today to discuss the possible purchase of a large panel t.v. either plasma or LCD. I have dealt with this retailer for a number of years, the owner is pretty knowledgeable and as an independent has no particular axe to grind with any manufacturer. You can imagine my surprise when discussing my spending up to £3000 with the proprietor he then advises me to save my money for the time being and not to buy anything. Trying to keep this post reasonably short, in essence this chap summed it up like this. Plasma does give good results, but is quite heavy, uses more electric than LCD, and development wise there is not much mileage left in the product, can suffer screen burn and banding problems, with a life expectancy of the better part of a decade.

LCD technology is moving forward in leaps and bounds, with screen sizes increasing by the month, but are still eye wateringly expensive. They use less power then there Plasma counterparts, are lighter, but on the minus side, still suffer smearing on fast moving scenes, colours can look artificial, and can suffer from digital artefacts through to much processing. On the plus side the backlight should last around twenty years, and if replaced the picture should look as good as new. He thought that LCD panels offered the best hope for the future, but said give it another twelve months before taking the plunge.

Now I know this post is bound to be contentious. However, don’t shoot the messenger as I am simply relating my experience of attempting to buy a flat panel t.v. In fairness the proprietor lost a sale, but said he would rather lose a sale on this occasion in the hope that I trust his judgment and will continue to give him my custom in the future. A case of the ultimate customer service.

2. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    He's right of course, if you take the long-term view. If you want benefits now and you don't expect to keep the TV for longer than, say, two years, jump now! :)

3. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Pretty much bang on I'd say, although at current prices for plasmas you might take the view (depending on how much of the folding stuff you've got to throw around) that you could buy something 'good enough' for now, and look again in a few years.

LCDs are looking hopeful though ... I was wondering around a Sony dealer a couple of weeks ago and spotted their new XBlack LCD panels - finally, someone's fixed the black-level problem on LCDs. They looked very good. Sadly the feature hasn't made it to their larger LCD lines, otherwise I'd have been seriously tempted. Give it time ....

4. bobbytech

bobbytech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All good things come to those who wait...and wait...and wait... ;-)

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    It's pretty well accurate. And as always with anything relatively new (in this case, LCD) standards rise and prices fall very rapidly.

However, if one is genuinely in the market for a new screen (not simply for upgradeitis, but for a "better" reason - failure of the old one, move to widescreen, etc) then this type of argument, whilst surely true, doesn't imply that the best purchase is necessarily a large CRT.

Large CRTs are heavy, use huge amounts of power, and are very prone to suffer from geometry problems, convergence problems, poor stability (VR bounce), colour interference from nearby ferromagnetic materials....the list goes on.

So, if the question is - shall I buy new, now? - then the answer may well be "wait".

But, if the question is what shall I buy, now? - then the answer is nowhere near as clear, and is as much down to personal preference (which shortcomings can I cope with best?) as to anything else.

6. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    This is a typical case of "There's something better arround the corner"

Granted in 2 years time there will be better LCD's available... But hang on in 4 years time surely there will be even better LCD's and then again in 6 years time they will be even better still...........

If you waited for the "new"model or "new" technology no-one would ever buy a PC, Car, Electrical appliance ever again...

7. hearts

hearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    LOL I can't believe it. Finally decide aftre months of dithering to buy either an LCD or Plasma. Came on line to get it checked out the prices and found my discount codes........then I came across this post and its all up in the air again. The thing is, in the time I've waited they have dropped in price significantly and I have also read there is a better cheaper alternative Flat Tv coming out next year (actually I think they are out now but are just becoming more popular)

Anyway the upshot is I'm gonna wait till maybe March or April to see where we stand. So thanks for making my mind up for me.

8. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hearts,
    You are joking? :confused: :eek:

9. hearts

hearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    what ;-) ??

10. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In March or April, you'll be in EXACTLY the same position. :)

11. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I go along with what most others have said - *** you could be dead tomorrow.

In your position I would buy a nice 42" Panny 6 (notice on another thread that you can get them for £1400 :smashin: that leaves you with £1600 - use that to buy Premium Bonds, you'll be happy with the plasma until LCDs are good enough and down in price to £1600 and who knows, in the meantime you could have won a few quid. Added bonus is that the plasma can then go in the bedroom:devil:

12. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My local computer store gave me similar advice - ie that the technology is always advancing and that something 'better' is around the corner.
    His advice was to wait too.

Luckily for me, this Sinclair Spectrum has lasted well, with only a bit of wear on the rubber keys.

13. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    :clap: :rotfl: I know what you mean, this blooming ZX81 is a real pain, just going to wait a little longer before jumping in with something new though!!

14. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Yes Yes all very amusing. However, there is such a thing as an optimum time to jump into any market. Go in to early and you pay top whack and suffer the early teething problems etc. It's similar to the car market, buy new and suffer niggling development faults recalls etc. but wait a few years say mid stream and most of the faults have been ironed out through constant development. The trick is in judging the right time to jump. Personally I don't think that time is now, but I would hazard a guess that in twelve months time it may not be a bad time to make that plunge.

15. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It all depends on your criteria.

If you want a big screen, but can't afford to loose the half of your lounge that a rear projection would take up, or a CRT monster on its ugly AV stand/housing then buy now.

If you sit there examining every pixel and blurred movement - without actually 'watching' the film or match, then there is a chance of disappointment.

There is a potential to look too deep into the whole issue of flat panel screens.
    If its a nice picture, and the set looks nice and you can afford it, then just buy it, watch it and live with it.

I should add that I have a similar problem with comparing mrs woody with all the other similar models available. It does you no good, I can tell you :)

16. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    So he runs a television shop and talked you out of a plasma and an LCD set.

Wow. My company has been trying to fill the post of Sales Prevention Manager for months. I need this guy. PM me his CV and contact details.

17. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Not trying to be funny, I am with you all the way.

I can;t remember when i first registered with the site, but initially it was because I was researching into a new tv.

400 odd posts later I still haven't purchased one!!! It is a jungle out there!!

18. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Well now an update to my recent posts. I was visiting some relatives in the north of England at the weekend, and through a friend of a friend, I ended up having a drink with an R&D technician from Philips LG. As you might imagine the conversation soon ended up with the Plasma versus LCD debate. This technician reckons that the feeling within the industry and certainly where he works is that LCD will eventually become the dominant medium for the mass market. Now this is from a company that has a strong presence in both markets. Just an observation from someone with more knowledge than most in what the market trends are likely to be, so please don't shoot the messenger - I am just reporting the discussion. I have no strong feelings either way as I have yet to make my mind up.