What happened to these 90's DVD retailers?

It's a shame that the bricks and mortar import bubble burst. FACT started all those stupid raids, long before pirate DVD's and torrents where a thing they went after grey market imports instead. I've never forgiven FACT for that one.

I remember those days well - when R1 DVD’s were available over the counter. When visiting Manchester Arndale Shopping centre back in the day, I was in geek heaven when I saw a shop selling R1 dvds like Armageddon that was still showing (or not long finished) in UK cinemas. As you said, the next time I went back, the shop was gone. :(

Yes I used to use them all the time when I lived in Lincoln really friendly couple of lads run that shop. Great for second hand laser disc's trading stuff in and at one point they practically had the US DVD top ten on the shelf to buy. They even had a demo room at one point they showed me Last Man Standing on DVD it was great at the time.

It's a shame that the bricks and mortar import bubble burst. FACT started all those stupid raids, long before pirate DVD's and torrents where a thing they went after grey market imports instead. I've never forgiven FACT for that one.
Ha! It was their demo room showcasing Starship Troopers that convinced me to make the jump from vhs. As you say, pair of top guys running it, happy to share their passion for movies. Every time I visited, my eyes were bigger than my wallet. I remember my 'then' girlfriend being horrified about how much I spent there once I discovered the joy of region 1 imports!

I remember those days well - when R1 DVD’s were available over the counter. When visiting Manchester Arndale Shopping centre back in the day, I was in geek heaven when I saw a shop selling R1 dvds like Armageddon that was still showing (or not long finished) in UK cinemas. As you said, the next time I went back, the shop was gone. :(
Yes, I got real kick out of that. Cinema releases to buy over the counter. These were the days when there wasn't so much of the simultaneous global release patterns, and the UK waited for an age for some stuff.

Yes - they used to advertise on the back of Home Cinema Choice and Home Entertainment magazine. Much more pricey though.
Brought those on a regular basis too. Are either still running?

Yes, I got real kick out of that. Cinema releases to buy over the counter. These were the days when there wasn't so much of the simultaneous global release patterns, and the UK waited for an age for some stuff.

Yes, it was still heavily staggered. These days - a combination of less time and too many discs - I don‘t really import anymore and happy to wait for UK Region B mostly. It was different back then; I gorged on R1 discs like Augustus Gloop on chocolate.

Brought those on a regular basis too. Are either still running?

Not bought a magazine in ages thanks to places like here :D I think HE was finished ages ago. The last time I browsed the magazine section of a newsagent/supermarket, I think HCC was still there. The only mag still going properly might be What Hi-Fi (which covers Home Cinema more now I think).

Ohhh Reel.com vouchers take me back :D

DVD Box Office in Canada was a great store too.

A few links to the old sites at various times from the web archive (not all complete/fully functional) :

A few links to the old sites at various times from the web archive (not all complete/fully functional) :

Nice little trip down memory lane. It’s still mad to see the prices we used to pay for DVDs! :D

bulletsnbabes forum is still actually active today!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom