What happened to these 90's DVD retailers?

Monkeyjunk

Established Member
Reaction score
Movietyme Craig scarpered with all the dosh and inevitably the site went under I believe.
Play247 when long before Play did and that’s been gone a long time. Possibly the loop hole with operating from Jersey closed. Not quite sure.

Last edited:
As well as those mentioned, don‘t forget:

DVDSoon - new releases at low prices but you had to wait a bit longer (plus they took your money straightaway)

CDwow - are they still operating as WOWHD? Fond memories of all the £1 and £2 off et al. discount codes that they used to do. I used to order the R3 versions of Hollywood blockbusters at a cheaper price than the R1/2 counterparts

I used Play a lot and occasionally movietyme. Streaming and Amazon were the nail in the coffin, Amazon even destroyed the excellent Lovefilm rental site:(

Even though streaming is the future, discs still have a place, perhaps we will see a resurgence of independent online discs sellers and rental services, especially with more people staying at home now to watch movies instead of going to cinema due to covid19.

As well as those mentioned, don‘t forget:

DVDSoon - new releases at low prices but you had to wait a bit longer (plus they took your money straightaway)

CDwow - are they still operating as WOWHD? Fond memories of all the £1 and £2 off et al. discount codes that they used to do. I used to order the R3 versions of Hollywood blockbusters at a cheaper price than the R1/2 counterparts
Axelmusic as well.

I used to order quite a lot from Australia and sometimes Canada (not so much Canada because they had dual french/English covers) - those were the day’s of good exchange rates. Cannot remember the retailers

Movietyme Craig scarpered with all the dosh and inevitably the site went under I believe.
Play247 when long before Play did and that’s been gone a long time. Possibly the loop hole with operating from Jersey closed. Not quite sure.
I thought Rakuten bought Play?

Years ago I ran a Website called Bullets n Babes DVDs - reviewing many films including Martial Arts movies.

I imported and reviewed a Region 3 little movie called "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon".... Movietyme rang me up and asked where I got it and promptly ordered 3,000 copies.... months and months before it was in the West. They were a class act :laugh:

Ironically the R3 DVD is still one of the best due to it's correct, not dumbed down, subtitles.

Years ago I ran a Website called Bullets n Babes DVDs - reviewing many films including Martial Arts movies.

I imported and reviewed a Region 3 little movie called "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon".... Movietyme rang me up and asked where I got it and promptly ordered 3,000 copies.... months and months before it was in the West. They were a class act :laugh:

Ironically the R3 DVD is still one of the best due to it's correct, not dumbed down, subtitles.

Loved your site! One of the first ones I frequented regularly when I first got on the net at the turn of the century. Was still on dial-up. :D

Edit - I think I actually ordered a CTHD R3 from Movietyme. :D

I used to order quite a lot from Australia and sometimes Canada (not so much Canada because they had dual french/English covers) - those were the day’s of good exchange rates. Cannot remember the retailers
The Canadian one I used a lot was DVD Box Office. Brought superpowers from them. As you say, the dual language sounds were a bit of a pain though...

The Canadian one I used a lot was DVD Box Office. Brought superpowers from them. As you say, the dual language sounds were a bit of a pain though...

I used them loads too - good prices.

My Aussie dealer of choice was EzyDVD. Bought True Lies R4 from them. :D

There was a place over in Lincoln called Picture Paradise. They were pretty good, and sold loads of movie memorabilia too. Got my first imported region 1 DVD player from there in 1997. A bargain at £400!

I used to buy loads from A&B Sounds in Canada

Top site that was mate

There was a place over in Lincoln called Picture Paradise. They were pretty good, and sold loads of movie memorabilia too. Got my first imported region 1 DVD player from there in 1997. A bargain at £400!

Yes I used to use them all the time when I lived in Lincoln really friendly couple of lads run that shop. Great for second hand laser disc's trading stuff in and at one point they practically had the US DVD top ten on the shelf to buy. They even had a demo room at one point they showed me Last Man Standing on DVD it was great at the time.

It's a shame that the bricks and mortar import bubble burst. FACT started all those stupid raids, long before pirate DVD's and torrents where a thing they went after grey market imports instead. I've never forgiven FACT for that one.

wasnt there a DVDWorldUSA and a playusa.com as well which were both pretty good for imports.

How the fudge did I ever miss a film review site called "Bullets and Babes" :facepalm:

Tragic.

Can you start it up again @Jenz :D

How the fudge did I ever miss a film review site called "Bullets and Babes" :facepalm:

Tragic.

Can you start it up again @Jenz :D

It was great - HK and action movie heaven. :D

wasnt there a DVDWorldUSA and a playusa.com as well which were both pretty good for imports.

Yes - they used to advertise on the back of Home Cinema Choice and Home Entertainment magazine. Much more pricey though.

There was one based in Northern Ireland that I used to use loads. I vaguely it had black in the company name.

I always remember as my VHS of Titanic arrived at 8am in the post on the same day that people queued for hours to get a copy from the shops.

Those were the days!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom