What happened to the racers where you could pimp your ride?

iqoniq

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've loved racing games since I could first play them. At first they were just "pick a car" at most, which may or may not have handled differently. As technology progressed, it was then possible to add wraps and graphics. A little later aftermarket parts came along, and I was able to pimp that Ford Ka (horrible cars in real life that I never felt safe in) into a sheep in wolf's clothing. I think the apex for me was when the Need for Speed franchise brought in autosculpt, which meant I could play with the dimensions of the cars and part, stretching or shortening, going XXL with a spoiler or slimming it down to something more appropriate. I could turn a Mercedes into something visually worthy of being included in a Batman film.

Then, like spider, it stop. It became limited to things like spoilers, bumpers and pretty much anything that didn't require any effort in the art department. I still don't understand the point of sound systems in recent NFS games, as they don't even seem to offer eye candy.

I know people like fairly real physics (fun fact: we learn the basic laws of things like gravity within the first 12 hours of our lives), but have we forgotten about how much fun we could have with an arcade/open world hybrid where we could drive around in our abominations, and create something that was nowhere near aerodynamic or wouldn't have been stable at anything past 5 MPH, and then completely hoon it?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom