1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what happened to the Philips 32PF9986?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by phoTToniq, Jul 15, 2004.

1. phoTToniq

phoTToniq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wanted to buy a Philips 32PF9986 but held off because I heard there was a recall due to remote controls locking up and a fire risk. Are they off the market now? I could not find it at BE-DIRECT! Any idea when they will be back?

PhoTToniq

2. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sometime between end of July and mid September, not much help i know.

3. DeekosRSV

DeekosRSV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought Home Cinema Choice magazine as it has a review of said LCD as i fancy one too.

quote from the mag.......

"the 32PF9986 delivers without question the sharpest, most textured image i've ever seen on an LCD telly, or any kind of telly, come to that"

hmmmm sounds allright to me - :thumbsup:

4. phoTToniq

phoTToniq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bloomin 'eck - sounds worth waiting for eh? Can't wait till they release it! I was seriously thinking about ditching my xbox and buying a plasma instead. I think I will wait for this lcd again though. I hope be-direct get them in cheap again!

5. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was fortune enough to own this set for 10 days before the recall :mad: .
    It has the most detailed image i've ever seen, sometimes you forget you watching an LCD and you thing that is a CRT.
    No matter how hard you try you will not find the known LCD problems.
    Here in Greece they reviewed this set and its big brother the 42PF9986 three different magazines and they all gave them 5 stars.
    Your jaw will hit the floor when you connect your XBOX, forget your social life and NO I AM NOT WORKING FOR PHILIPS.
    Anyway this TV worth the wait big time.

6. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I've had one for over 2 months now. Very pleased with it.
    Comet guys checked out and modified the ambilight wiring ( you can read about this in an earlier thread), and all is fine. No dead pixels - great picture - on a good source it's fabulous - recommended.

7. Tonester

Tonester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally saw this on display in Comet. Now can anyone explain why the picture appeared to be a lot worse and more grainy than the Panasonic one next to it? There was the same source running through it.

I'm a bit disappointed because I like the design of the Philips more than the Panny, but with them being the same price I'm tempted by the Panasonic.

8. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I am interested in buying a lcd screen , so I set off to both Comet and Currys to view the sets that they had on sale.

All I can say it was a wasted excercise in trying to discover what set offered the best pic as the feeds to the sets where utterly abysmal.
    To sum it up , the best picture on offer in Comet was coming from a cheapo 14 portable :eek: .

Drphibes

9. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I am still waiting to see the 42" version
    Before the 32" was recalled I saw one in Currys in Speke, Liverpool and the picture was fantastic.
    I presume they must have now been re released as I saw one in Currys in St Helens.
    The picture was dreadful. The salesperson was embarassed and blamed the quality of the signal. I can only say that many points of sale must do a great disservice to manufacturers when they can't be bothered to show them with the correct input.
    Anyone seen the 42" version.
    NJ

10. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The 42 is brighter overall (123 nits) than the 32 (88 nits) both panels are not so bright for LCD Tvs (the preview 30pf9975 had more than 220 nits ) but that is because Philips wanted better blacks.
    The 42 has an amazing 0,2 Nits black, imagine the new Sony 42 Lcd has 0,6 Nits ( closer to 0 means better blacks ).
    Aside from those they appeared to be intedical.

11. LiquidB

LiquidB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    A relaunch is probably going to happen somewhere around the 2nd half of august. They should be easy to get at the beginning of september. All announced screensizes will be available at that time: 32-37-42 LCD and 42-50 Plasma.