What happened to the 26in TV?

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We currently have a Medion 19" LCD in the Kitchen/Family Room. Its an OK TV, but the screen size is too small. The space will not take a 32in, it just too big and over powering, the ideal size would be 26in, oddly this seems rare these days, its either 19/22/32/40+, there are other sizes inc 24/26/28 but not massive choice and the price seems high.

I presume it is an Economy of scale thing, i.e. sell far more 32+ sizes.

Can anyone recommend a good 26in? Or something to look for second hand?

Also is having HD freeview worth it at this size?

Panasonic used to do 26" LCD TVs (my parent have one), but it looks like they've moved to 24" these days.

Have a look at the Richer sounds website - they do 26" TVs from LG, Sharp, Sony and Toshiba in the £180-£300 price range, so you should still have a reasonable choice. If you widen your search to 24" or 27", then that increases your choice even further.

I can't see a huge benefit to having Freeview HD at that size (at any normal viewing distance at least) but I doubt that many 26" TVs will have a Freeview HD tuner in them, so it may not affect your choice anyway.

Its not that you can not get them, just choices seem limited and prices high.

It was once a popular size, I presume 32/40 have fill the gap.

I did have a Panasonic LCD 26in, several years ago, I sold it on these very forums - Doh!

I am looking at the KDL-26EX320 ticks most boxed, would like HD Freeview or a lower price, so will hold fire.

May look around for some older 26in TVs too.

Its not that you can not get them, just choices seem limited and prices high.

Tell me about it - I bought a 46" Panasonic GT30 earlier this year and felt I was paying a premium for what is essentially a less popular size, because you could get a 50" GT30 for not a lot more.

On reflection, it's probably more to do with the fact that the 50" is a more popular size, so the retailers sell more of them and can therefore do better deals.

You can off-set the price difference by getting the best deal, so shop around and try and get things like an extended warranty included if you can.

I bought this Philips from John Lewis a few months ago, and I'm quite impressed. http://www.johnlewis.com/230958536/Product.aspx It's for my caravan, but I found the smaller models - Samsungs -had very poor sound. I would have preferred a Sony - I have two at home, a 40" and 32" - but the Sony 26" base was no good for my 'van.

The picture on this is excellent on both HD and SD even though it's not full HD.

Last edited:
I went for this and I am happy with it...

Sony KDL24EX320WU

It seemed a 26in would be slightly too big.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom