What happened to sealed speaker designs?

English Invader

I recently bought these JPW AP1 speakers:

They are a sealed design with an 8" Vifa bass driver and a Vifa tweeter. I've been using them for a few days now and I honestly feel that you would be hard put to find a better bass response (both in terms of detail and depth) in today's £300 budget speaker market. The sound stage is also very good and is giving my hitherto mediocre vinyl pressings a whole new lease of life.

The most common problems I've noticed in the budget standmount speaker realm are:

1) new and inexperienced buyers having to set up speakers in less than ideal environments without being able to implement the "stereo triangle".
2) small 30x20cm cabinets with compressed drivers and tweeters that either give next to no bass or bloaty bass that masks detail; further compounded by a rear-facing bass reflex port that either has to be left unchecked or plugged up to restrict the speakers from operating as they were originally designed.

Both of those issues can be resolved with a sealed design. Sealed speakers can be placed virtually anywhere in the room without compromising the sound stage (my JPWs are currently on a chest of drawers as part of what is effectively a "mono triangle" between my computer desk and my sofa). The sealed design also gives a tighter, cleaner bass that introduces the listener to a whole new dimension of sound.

Anyone know of any sealed designs that are made today?

Costello

I think you’ll find Spendor still produce them. Certainly the current A1 seems to to fit the bill. I had some Spendor built Quad 10L speakers which were sealed. Best speaker I’ve ever owned. Just too small when I move house.

Helix Hifi

I’d like to own Spendor speakers in the upcoming future. But sadly they are too expensive to buy them brand new, even used also. But can sealed speakers be placed against the wall (20 cm), and what are the benefits against non sealed speakers?

Helix Hifi

@English Invader, I see you cover the basics of sealed speakers against non sealed speakers. Still it’s a new field for me. And I’d be interested if others have compared sealed speakers against not sealed speakers.

English Invader

I’d like to own Spendor speakers in the upcoming future. But sadly they are too expensive to buy them brand new, even used also. But can sealed speakers be placed against the wall (20 cm), and what are the benefits against non sealed speakers?

My speakers are about 15cm from the wall so I guess that's a yes to your first question. The speakers I was using before were a pair of Castle Richmonds from the 70s which were one of the first designs to implement bass reflex technology and the comparison is basically bloaty bass to detailed bass and the fact that I didn't find any contemporary speakers in the budget realm that I felt would resolve this limitation in my system.

acgingersnaps

ATC still make sealed speakers. A mate has the SCM11 and they're among the most engaging sounding speakers that I've ever heard.

DT79

Two diffrerent ways to skin the cat. It’s certainly possible to implement both approaches and achieve excellent results. The trend is definitely for ported speakers these days and I’m sure no small part of that is to achieve frequency response figures that the modern buyer won’t simply dismiss out of hand.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Do we need to add into the mix aperiodic (Dynaco A25), passive radiator (Bucharest S400), transmission line ( PMC, RTL) and the various horn designs (AER) ? :devil:

All tools for designers to tailor the low end of the frequency spectrum and how the output reduces with reduction in frequency from “start early, reduce slow” in sealed to “start late, reduce steeply” for bass reflex (Ported). However, the choice of speaker driver unit can biased towards one design compared to another depending on its electrical and mechanical attributes.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom