What happened to Samsung HLP5688W??

R

rzr

Somewhere I read about a Samsung HLP5688W, supposedly the first 1080p DLP television to feature the TI xHD3 chip from Samsung, in the 56" variety for around $5,200. The notes I wrote down said Feb/March for release.

Now, checking all through the CES 2005 information I can find from last week, I see only the huge 1080p HLR6768W, a 67"er for a $6K list price, not due till June. While the price isn't that much higher, 67" is really bigger than I need.

Have they dropped the 56" model for the 67" one? Was that original info speculation or rumor? Does anyone know?

I was really hoping to buy a hi-def set before the May mandate that the broadcast flag be integrated into all HD gear....And I would really love for that to be a 1080p set. Now I'm not so sure that's going to be possible...

Thanks in advance.

rzr

Hmm... I just re-read the old warning and realized that the FCC mandate for implementing the broadcast flag is apparently July 1st, not May. I guess this means these new Samsung sets will be out just under the wire. I certainly hope so. If I wait for 1080p and find out the ATSC/NTSC tuners in these models are already broadcast-flag-active I certainly won't be happy. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link. (And any more info on the broadcast flag's upcoming appearance in new tuners is welcome info...)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom