1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happened to Samsung HLP5688W??

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by rzr, Jan 9, 2005.

1. rzr

rzr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Somewhere I read about a Samsung HLP5688W, supposedly the first 1080p DLP television to feature the TI xHD3 chip from Samsung, in the 56" variety for around $5,200. The notes I wrote down said Feb/March for release.

Now, checking all through the CES 2005 information I can find from last week, I see only the huge 1080p HLR6768W, a 67"er for a $6K list price, not due till June. While the price isn't that much higher, 67" is really bigger than I need.

Have they dropped the 56" model for the 67" one? Was that original info speculation or rumor? Does anyone know?

I was really hoping to buy a hi-def set before the May mandate that the broadcast flag be integrated into all HD gear....And I would really love for that to be a 1080p set. Now I'm not so sure that's going to be possible...

Thanks in advance.

rzr

2. snark

snark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. rzr

rzr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm... I just re-read the old warning and realized that the FCC mandate for implementing the broadcast flag is apparently July 1st, not May. I guess this means these new Samsung sets will be out just under the wire. I certainly hope so. If I wait for 1080p and find out the ATSC/NTSC tuners in these models are already broadcast-flag-active I certainly won't be happy. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link. (And any more info on the broadcast flag's upcoming appearance in new tuners is welcome info...)

4. g_unit

g_unit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0