What Handbrake Settings Do You Use fro Blurays

nheather

Distinguished Member
Want to put my bluray collection onto my Synology 216j NAS for streaming.

Have started creating MKVs using MakeMKV and now want to use Handbrake to create smaller filesizes.

Looking for good video at 1080P but reducing the filesize, the smaller the better but not to the point where the video is clearly downgraded.

What settings do you use?

Cheers,

Nigel

nheather

Distinguished Member
Might be getting my terminology wrong here but assuming a MKV or MP4 container with an H265 codec.

But open to suggestions as I know very little about this topic.

Cheers,

Nigel

mickevh

Distinguished Member
It would be worth checking all your intended playback devices can interpret H265 as it's relatively new.

This isn't something I do much and doubtless there will be others who can attest to their experience. Of course, whether there is any discernible difference in PQ is entirely subjective and I would suggest a function of the size of the playback device and the viewing distance. By way of exemplar, if I sit a couple of metres from my PDP, FreeView looks dreadful, but further away or on a mobile phone it's fine (or perhaps "better" - I reckon Freeview looks poor on everything.)

I haven't looked at Handbrake in ages, but IIRC is ships with set of "templates" so to speak - maybe there's some you could try that are pre-built for your purpose.

It may be that the best thing to do is cut a few test scenes a few minutes long (to save running through the re-code of an entire movie) and run a few tests. I'd be inclined to try a scene which is largely static but detailed; a simple scene such as a sky which will show up any "banding/fringing" between colour graduation; and finally something that features a lot of fast moving action (fast moving in terms of jump cut, fast pans/wipes/dissolve, flashing images (such as automatic fire muzzle flashes in a dark room,) etc. that will work the codec hard,) and experiment a bit.

Last edited:

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Any compression is downgrading. How much you notice it depends on how fussy you are and the size and quality of your TV.

x265 definitely has advantages but really only in very low bitrate files, so very small sizes with a lot of compression which will make it noticeable. In higher bitrates x264 is still superior.

I do compress movies, but only things like comedies or dramas where there's no great cinematography or loads of big budget F/X. Even at that I'm taking something like Good Will Hunting which is 35GB untouched and compressing it down to 16GB. I also bought Dr Strange which came in at 25GB untouched, it has loads of F/X and fast action so I wouldn't compress this.
One day you might upgrade your TV to a larger one and depending upon your collection size may not want to rip it all again as it looks a bit carp on your new, bigger TV compared to the bluray.

HeadBanger

I've converted all of my collection on Handbarake except for my favourite films.

If I were doing this now I'd be looking to convert using H.265 (assuming you have a player than can play it) as it's far more efficient so you'll save even more space. It supposedly will offer an identical picture at half the bit rate.

H.265 benchmarked: Does the next-generation video codec live up to expectations? - ExtremeTech

Was it actually some advanced picture conversion settings that you were after?

HB

nheather

Distinguished Member
Was it actually some advanced picture conversion settings that you were after?

HB

It is that as someone who is not that knowledgeable I open up Handbrake and see two things.

1 - some ready made profiles on the right like 'HQ 1080p30 Surround' and 'Super HQ 1080p30 Surround'.

2 - custom settings for Picture, Filters, Video, Audio, Subtitles and Chapters on the left.

I don't really know what to do with the stuff on the left so I am drawn to the presets.

The best one seems to be 'Super HQ 1080p30 Surround' but I'm not confident because why should the framerate for a Bluray movie be set to 30 fps?

Just really after guidance as to what preset I should use or alternatively what custom settings.

Cheers,

Nigel

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom