What Guitar for a 8 year old ?

I'd suggest start learning on a classical guitar perhaps a 3/4 size, although at 8 yrs she might manage a full size.

Thanks paul, she is very tall compared to her age.

Any brand suggestions, with links would be much helpful. (max budget of £300)

thanks

I'd suggest start learning on a classical guitar perhaps a 3/4 size, although at 8 yrs she might manage a full size.

My friend has this guitar it is a full size and he has the steel strung version. Tone is lovely, built in tuner and a good all-round guitar. Granted I know he can play so, to learn on maybe different.

I had my first acoustic as a cheap fender and still use it 15 years later!

My Electro-acoustic is A Lag not the most common make and not the best guitar but actually has a lovely tone and you can hear it here (click listen now and its the track ordinary song)

It depends on what you daughter is learning, if she is going for rock guitar then these two are not right for you at all, you can pick up some yamaha starter packs for a reasonable price and they are good(ish) guitars.

If you are looking for a guitar alone then

Gibson
|Gibson
Ibanez

You do get what you pay for and a guitar is a personal thing.

She has to like looking at it as well as playing it.

I suggest that you take her to a shop to get a feel for what she likes.

The trouble is you have guitars like Daisy Rock that are not great guitars but are a cool shape (pink flower, hello kitty)

It is an investment so if she is serious about playing spend as close to that £300 budget that you can and you (she) would not be disappointed.

Remember that if you do the electric route she will need a practice amp to hear what she is playing.

Ebay might be your best bet as you can get mini amps very cheap and just let her build from there.

(If she wants to be in a band?? Then the amp needs to be much more powerful but we can cross that bridge later :thumbsup:)

I'd also recommend going to a store to try guitars out. Taking Epiphone as an example... the Les Paul replicas are very heavy compared to the SG models. My godson has been playing since he was 8 - his first proper guitar was an Epiphone SG. The size and weight was perfect for him (plus he was a huge Angus Young fan). He's now 12 and has a Gibson SG, an Indie custom and is playing through a Marshall half stack. He's saving for a Les Paul too. Talented little sod. :)

I'd also recommend going to a store to try guitars out.

Agree with this - take your daughter shopping so she can spend an hour or 2 holding & playing guitars; it's important that she has one that she's comfortable playing.

If it's an acoustic you're after, Yamaha do some excellent cheaper models, ideal for learning on :)

I'd also recommend going to a store to try guitars out. Taking Epiphone as an example... the Les Paul replicas are very heavy compared to the SG models. My godson has been playing since he was 8 - his first proper guitar was an Epiphone SG. The size and weight was perfect for him (plus he was a huge Angus Young fan). He's now 12 and has a Gibson SG, an Indie custom and is playing through a Marshall half stack. He's saving for a Les Paul too. Talented little sod. :)

But SG's are just 2 planks of wood nailed together :lease:

the Les Paul is heavy (why I put the Ibanez on as well) but the sound you get from the Les Paul (as long as its a half decent copy) will sound lovely.

But I think the best advice is for her to try it out (but remember it may be big now but she will be bigger soon) so a smaller guitar may be comftable now but if you are investing in future guitar rather than argos learning guitar buy something she will grow into and not out of.

Thank you guys for detailed recommendation and links. Will look into these and take her to shop and see what she likes. I hope she doesn't select a pink / purple one :(

Her main interest is singing, but doing very well with piano (sorry if I sound pushy). Recently she came with the idea of learning guitar as well.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom