What graphics card

brushedsun

Standard Member
Hi,

I have a HTPC that has onboard graphics but is rather blocky playing back 1080p. If i get a dedicated graphics card this should solve the problem i assume? the processor is an athlon 64 dual core so it and it never maxes out when playing back video so i am assuming that it is the graphics that is maxing out.

I dont play games or need anything flashy just a pci graphics with HDMI output that will easily handly 1080P What would be a good budget model that will do the job?

THanks

M

howardbut

Standard Member
For pure HD video playback, an ATI/AMD HD4350 or nVidia 8400GS should be capable to do the job. Both of them are available in low-profile, on-board HDMI (video and audio), and fanless design.

Please note you certainly would have problem in getting HDMI audio out work. Do some google search, and make sure you have got all the required driver installed. Personally I would prefer ATI/AMD option as the video quality is usually better.

brushedsun

Standard Member
There seems to be a known issue with h264 streams on .mkv playback using ATI graphics. i had thought as i was using onboard graphics that this was the issues for the blockness on 1080p playback. ill try looking for a new codec packs and see if that fixes the issue and if not ill go for the 8400gs

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom