1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Graphics card for Gaming?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Timh, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Please help, My current system is>
    AMD XP1800
    512 ddr ram
    Nvidia 32mb mx200 graphics
    Seagate Baracuda 80gb HD

I am finding that my sysyem runs quite poorly with Microsoft Combat Flight sym 3, I have the graphics set to 1024x768 and the detail set to 2, 5 being the highest, at these settings I find it still has some slowdown with the graphics, my processor runs at 52C while running games.
    Do I need a better graphics card with 64MB, like this one here

Thanks for any help.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim,

The MX440 cards are glorified GF2s - steer clear.

On a budget get a MSI Ti4200 - most are good for Ti4600 speeds easily. Around £100.

But the best card available is obviously a Radeon 9700Pro. Expensive, but WILL not need upgrading anytime soon - full DX9 support already.

An awesome card, & outstanding DVD playback also :eek:

Then "watercool" that baby:
    [​IMG]

Nice! 100% stable @ 415/730 & over 18.1k in 3DMark2001SE here

You know you want one :D

BTW, Combat Flight Sim 3 is VERY demanding. Even a Ti4200 will have difficulty with all detail settings maxed out @ 1024x768.

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi Kramer

:eek: and I thought you were joking all this time:eek:
    Thanks Kramer, I will take a look at the Ti4200.

I can't understand why they make Flight sims so demanding, it would cost a fortune to get a decent pc to run CFS3 at full resolution.

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I don't understand why CFS3 is that demanding either. The graphics engine IMO is fairly poor, plus I get shedloads of flicker and glitches.

Played a training mission then gave up on it, the graphical bugs were annoying. I can't see it being due to specs as I have an Athlon 1600, Leadtek Ti4400 and 512megs. It should be able to handle that.

Oh on the recommendation front, take a look at the Albatron Ti4200. If you have two spare slots and don't mind a bit of noise then the Abit OTES Ti4200 is the fastest out there.

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi Sinzer

What Graphics leval are you running CFS3 at?
    I find Microsofts Crimson sky has much better and smoother graphics than CFS3 and thats been out a couple of years :confused:

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I tried a few res's from 800x600 up to 1152x784, performance wasn't bad (it juddered a bit on the opening screen with the plane and the hangar) it just had loads of glitches and TBH looked pretty awful. (Oh I did also have 2x FSAA on, forgot about that!)

I found the high res's fairly unplayable as the flicker was higher and the planes were about the size of gnats.

My PC can play any other game at full res with FSAA, just seems that CSF3 doesn't like my PC. Prefer Sturmovik, although that is a little hardcore, wanted CSF3 for the multiplayer co-op options :(