What gives the best sound? Oldtimers or the new cheap lads?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Perminator, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Perminator

Perminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of buying the Denon 3805 as a replacement for my four year old Yamaha RXV-596, and I'm expecting a significant improvement sound-wise (stereo) :cool:
    I'm also thinking of getting a new dvd-player to replace my Sony DVP-NS700V. The Sony has SACD and had pretty good sound when it came three years or so back, but I'm afraid that its time is running out and it's time for a change. In adition to better sound I want Progressive Scan and DVD-Audio on my new player, although the sound quality is the most important issue, and then particularly in stereo.

The problem is, that after buying the 3805, I will only have £140-220 left for a new player, and that's where the challenge is. Is it possible to get a decent dvd-player (with DVD-A, SACD etc) for this amount of money, which can deliver good sound to the 3805 in stereo?

I see the new Pioneer 575 has got some great reviews, but is this player (or any other in this price range) really able to match the Denon when it comes to stereo? I'm also considering 2nd hand. Would this be the best solution, buying an older heavy-weighter (like the Denon 2800) 2nd hand?

To make it simple: What gives the best sound quality, todays 575's (and its companions) or the oldtimers like the Donon 2800?

By the way, I have a Tannoy Mx surround set (Mx3, Mx2, Mcenter, MSub) if that matters.
    Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you cant beat the rock solid build on the Tosh 9000 and Arcam DV88 etc etc Pio 7XX as well but they dont have the bells and whistles of newer players HK DVD-30 Second hand should fit the bill well. also see whats around in the classifieds.

3. Perminator

Perminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have a feeling that the old guys are the best.
    But another option I came across is to buy a dedicated cd-player. The next nine months or so I won't be needing a dvd-player anyways as I will be living in a school where there are no tv's allowed (I know, it's crazy :( )
    Would a cd-player in the same price range as mentioned above be better than the "old-timers" in stereo?

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    If your happy with the Yamaha for movies and just want to improve stereo performance why not spend the money on a dedicated stereo amp. I'm sure if you bought a stereo amp around the £400-£500 mark this would give you much better results than the denon in stereo mode. This would also give you a larger budget to buy a better source which is as important as the amplification imo.
    Providing the yamaha has pre-outs I'm sure a stereo amp would integrated easily especially if you buy an amp with the av in mode.
    I was in a similar situation with wanting to improve my music listening and went down this route with the addition of an integrated amp into my system and it has given me excellent results :D

5. Perminator

Perminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a good idea, but I'm afraid it's bit late now as I have already sold the Yamaha (sold it to my sister :D ). But still, would a dedicated £150-£220 cd-player give good results? Much better than players like the Denon 2800?

6. Perminator

Perminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    C'mon... Nobody's got any views on this??

7. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    What are the DACs like on the Denon 3805? If they are very good then you could use these for CD and just use the layer as the transport.

8. Perminator

Perminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I know little or nothing about DAC's. Does it stand for Digital Audio Converter? I have no idea how good they are on the Denon... Do you have to set the output to digital on the dvd-player to take advantage of this?