1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What gfx card/tv card for 1080i plasma

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by grahammackie, Feb 2, 2004.

1. grahammackie

grahammackie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am about to start on my first HT/HD PC venture. Currently have a Sony Professional Plasma that supports everything from composite thru RGB VGA and Component (Yr-Pb-Pr and RGBHV) through BNC connectors.

Current AV setup is Denon 2200 with prog scan through Yamaha 640SE with Kef Eggs, Q9c and PSW3000.

I want to install the HTPC to play HD DVD's (ie T2) and WMV HD's etc. and archice CD collection.

Any suggestions on gfx card and best way to connect plasma ? Do I convert card output (DVI?) to component or just go pure VGA to get a 1080i signal?

Any help or advice gratefuilly received

2. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    My advice is to use a high-end Radeon card, and output at the native resolution of the display (or at the highest supported resolution), and use a DVI connection, for best results.

You'll need a fast PC (3+Ghz P4) for smooth playback of hidef material. Microsoft have some samples you can download and try, to see if your machine is fast enough.

3. grahammackie

grahammackie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike - What if I don't have DVI in on the Plasma? Can I convert to component ?

4. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Then just use a VGA connector - should be good too. You may need to invest in a decent VGA cable, and avoid switchers and extensions for best results.

5. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Don't really know if you need to go that 'High End' with your video card - I have both ATI Radeon 9800Pro (£240) and a 9200se (£50) - the latter I use in my HTPC and it has no problems whatsoever. Granted if using the machine for games play as well then go for something more like the 9800. Just a point to consider seeing as there's such a difference in price.

Benefit of the 9200se is that it fanless as well so less noise..........