What genre of game would you call...

Garnett

Established Member
Reaction score
...games where you can improve your character bit by bit and by buying better gear after poring over stats?

I loved Elite, and other games where you could save money and improve your character or ship by buying better stuff.

Borderlands and BL2 are pretty decent for that.

Fallout had it sort of.

What I'd love is a sort of Elite style space fighter, where you can upgrade, repair, improve, modify and swap out your ship in a million different ways that all impact on each other.

I saw a video the other day for an indie game ticking all the boxes... Let me search...

Here you go mate

Not sure what elite was like (too young) but looks alright

Last edited:
That's cool - thanks a lot. I'll keep tabs on that.

I wish a big studio would take on a project like this.

Wouldn't Mass Effect be what you're after? You can't upgrade/repair you ship, but you can develop your character and the squad members who follow you about.

Mass Effect was good, definitely. But it wasn't quite there.

Borderlands would be awesome if you could canabalise your kit, and combine different gun parts etc.

Loads of games do it, good ones ive played...

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
DmC: Devil May Cry
Bayonetta
Far Cry 3
Dishonored
Saints Row: The Third

Depends on what sort of game you are looking for really.

What I'd love is a sort of Elite style space fighter, where you can upgrade, repair, improve, modify and swap out your ship in a million different ways that all impact on each other.

They are rebooting Elite, you know? I am not sure if it will ever hit the Consoles tho.

Hopefully Bungie's Destiny will have lot's of custom upgrades, etc. :smashin:

If you have a modern'ish PC/Laptop you could look into EVE online. The game is all about stats, upgrading and trading but not so much "action". I have dipped into it a couple of times in the past but it felt like a full time job if you want to get anywhere(imo).

Dead island. After playing BL2 I've decided I prefer DI even though at the time I thought it lacked the polish of Borderlands

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom