1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What gear do I need? (Wireless Sky+ setup)

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jimbo2112, Jun 15, 2005.

1. jimbo2112

jimbo2112
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All,

My question to you learned fellows is; what gear do I need to run the Sky+ system on a wireless basis? I need a set up that I can use before I get an extension built which will be in around 3 months time

I am looking get Sky+ and I have the BT junction box in the hallway. I would prefer things to go wireless, especially as I am about to get a houe extension done and I don't want to have to do the work twice i.e. wire the whole lot up and then rewire it after the extension.

Currently I have TV in front room and it will be in replaced with a big plasma job in the extension alongside a DVD recorder, home cinema and Sky+.

I am asking you guys as I got very little help from the Sky installer that said I could not do what he wanted. It was late in the day and I htink he wanted to cancel so he could get home early!

:lease:

Cheers

Jimbo

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I don't know of any wireless phone gadget that works with Sky.

3. jimbo2112

jimbo2112
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I mentioned the phone junction box being in the hallway of the house as the Sky installation man said that it would be a problem and the junction box needed to be in the same room as the Sky box. This was due to him not being able to drill holes in the walls of the house. So I thought I would just get a wireless connection from the hallway, where he could do the install and receive the signal anywhere in the house.

Please correct me if this is pie in the Sky(+)!

Jimbo

4. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He should be able to run a cable tacked to the skirting board, you get 10 metres of free cable I think. Of course, this depends on you being happy with that.

Or you try could try this but it is an expensive option.

don't take any guff just because they can't be bothered to do their job. I had them try to tell me they couldn't run my telephone cable through the house but they'd run it externally for £60. I knocked them down to £20 then complained to Sky and got it refunded.

Good luck.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I would be wary of products like this. Sky boxes have very primative modems, and may not recognise this as a phone line. Also, it doesn't work with broadband, if you have it.