Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

what game? advice please

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by barrykil, Dec 7, 2003.

1. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    hi,liked playing medeval war looking for similar type game to pass the winter nights any advice thanks

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,682
    I have played Age of Empires (on budget) which is good this covers the period round 0AD but I think the second one Age of Empires II covers the medieval time period and is I think in a box set with the add on. This is a real time stratergy

If you like something sort of medieval but not as accurate but in a medieval sort of setting try Thief and Thief II although the first (the best but both top games) has creatures in it and the second steam powered contraptions (both on budget) and are both first person.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,682
    Just thought Civilisation II a turn based strategy game cover the medieval time period but goes from 4000bc to 2100AD.

Ops I just saw war game bit so the Thief games wont apply :blush: .

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Shogun: Total War is the prequel to Medieval, and IMO, is a better game. Get the Viking Invasion expansion pack for Medieval: Total War as well, as that is great.

Rome: Total War is out in April, and as seen on "Time Commanders" looks pretty good.

No other game is really similar to the "Total War" series and no other game comes close!

The only other turn based strategy game i can recommend is buying yourself the board game "Risk", although it doesn't have the mind-blowing battles.

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    I'm really enjoying neverwinter nights at the moment. I know it's more of an rpg but it certainly keeps you on your toes. You have to use different stratagies to overcome different obstacles (much like the Total war series) with the added enjoyment of an excellent story. The characteur leveling up gives you plenty of scope to make you play however you like (evil, good, mage, thief, fighter etc) and gives an excellent depth to gameplay. You can play online with like minded people (I've only just tried that tbh) and I notice play are selling neverwinter night and the expansion pack Shadows of Undrentide (which I'm currently playing) for the bargain price of £18 here:-

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=PC&title=122689

Hordes of the Underdark has just arrived too so if you're into this type of game will keep you busy for months. You can also download free expansion packs of the bioware website since the game includes the tool set to creat your own adventure.:D

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,682
    As with the Neverwinter Nights, Baldurs Gate it a very good game, so good I played it through twice.

7. barrykil

barrykil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    thanks all may give shogun +thief a go

8. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Yes I think Shogun is better than Medieval - I don't what it is - perhaps the atmosphere it creates

9. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not medieval, but Rise of Nations is a great RTS.