What frontends do you recommend for running your emulators?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by lpoolm, Aug 4, 2013.

1. lpoolm

lpoolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Hi so getting close to finishing my snes pc build and looking for advice on what people think is the best frontends to use.

I started using GameEx but only realized afterwards the full version is paid for, I do not doubt it is probably worth it but as I am trying to keep costs down and because there is a lot of free alternatives out that is what I am looking for!

I did a lot of reading up on Hyperspin but it seems it is hard to install and power hungry, so may struggle on my Atom processor.

Does anyone have any experience on any others like Mala or something I may not of heard of yet?

Any advice would be great as I am close to finishing!:thumbsup:

2. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    I have tried them all.
    Hyperspin is probably the best looking, but it is a giant PITA to get working.
    Maximus arcade has to be the easiest, and if it's just for a SNES box then you can't really get any better.
    You can buy it if you want, but the author totally abandoned the project about 4 years ago so you might as well download it from your favourite torrent site now.

3. lpoolm

lpoolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    brilliant thanks, just been reading about that one.

Can it do other emulators too? mainly looking at snes but might as well have others on there too

4. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Yes it does most of the big consoles/computers out there.
    If not there is a way to add batch files for any other program you want to add though.

5. PFMC84

PFMC84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    May I ask, what exactly are you building?

Can't you just use any standard emulator like Snes9x with any ROM file you want or are you doing something completely different?

6. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Pretty much the same as a media server really.
    He will choose from a list of games from any system directly, without the need of having to load up an emulator.

Retrobox Entertainment System: HyperSpin...

7. PFMC84

PFMC84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Oh, mummy, want one!

Shut up and take my money!

The only thing is the graphics. I see he has smoothed them out, but I hate that look and would prefer it to look exactly as they did, I wonder if it's a setting you can change as a user or if it's hard wired into the system?

8. lpoolm

lpoolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100

Hi, so I stumbled across a forum several months back while looking for ideas on doing an arcade build and someone I think in America had gutted an old snes, put a pc in it wired up the controllers so the original ones work and had it running a snes emulator.

So after seeing that I just needed one!:D

I have taken a lot advice from different sections of this forum but I am in the final stage of my build, just waiting for my old snes to be delivered (bought from this forum) and I can start to put it all together.

It is to be used as mainly a snes emulator but because it has an mini pc in it it would be wasted just running that, looking to put other emulators on it and use a nice frontend to navigate between them. Hopefully an Amiga emulator can run from it?

So I can not take any credit for the idea, i am not 100% copying, just taking good bits and trying to move it on a little.

The plan once its done was to start a little thread on here with pics I have been taking, just a little info guide if you think there would be an interest. Again like I said I am not taking credit for the idea but I am sure there are many people out there like me that a month or two back didnt even know something like this was around and now I am half way through building my own!:thumbsup: and I have never done a pc home build before!