1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What freeview box??

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Gillsfan, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Gillsfan

Gillsfan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I currently have a sagem freeview box which im upgrading as it only has 1 scart.

What freeview boxes are available which are a reasonable price, preferrably with RGB pass through and work well in a low quality signal area.

I saw the fusion FTR101 which can rewind 30 secs of live TV. I would love to have this option, but not pay as much for a PVR. Is this model any good? Are there any other ones with similar features?

2. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I am also looking at getting a new freeview box, comon peeps, any advice / opinions out there that can help us out :lease:

3. lostinspace

lostinspace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    I recently bought a Sagem ID64 box because I wanted a 7 day EPG.I've had nothing but trouble from it.The first one was exchanged because the digital output was missing from the back-just a mini stereo jack was in place-so check it out.There are two versions of this model.It can't be put in the same vertical plane as the TV screen as there is so much picture breakup it's useless.So it's blutacked towards the rear of the TV to stop it falling off(the box is so light the weight of a decent scart lead drags it everywhere).Also,the mains adapter plug is such a poor fit that walking across the wooden floor can cause picture breakup as the power supply is interrupted.
    Even then the interference it puts on the analogue picture is immense-vertical lines etc.When I checked their website it said this was normal for this product(no mention in the instructions though).I'm not technically minded enough to understand what they said though.
    Maybe the one I've got isn't a typical experience,but the old Pace Ondigital box I replaced never gave me any trouble at all until ITV3 started locking the box up.
    No more Sagem products for me.

4. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    if u don't want a recorder then Sony VTXS800 all the way. Fast access, good picture and sound quality, optical and analogue output (combined), Smartlink/TVlink/Qlink capability with dvdr/vcrs, 7day EPG, multibran remote. Plus, it never crashes. The only freeview box i'd get

5. hockeyshooter

hockeyshooter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also endorse the Sony VTX-D800U. I'm in a relatively poor signal area, albeit with a new ariel, but the box works brilliantly. Has two SCARTs and I feed my widescreen Hitachi in RGB mode. Operates my TV better than the Thompson DTI 1000 did. Got mine from Amazon.

Chris.

6. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have a Sony VTX-D800U and am very pleased with it. Two years of continuous service and never has it required a reboot.

7. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Does anyone know if there's a box on the market, or due fairly soon, with twin tuners, HDD recording and Top-up slot ? I've seen a few without the top-up, but I really don't see why they can't add it and will wait 'til someone does.

8. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The Pioneer is really good, its super fast and dosnt seem to suffer from crashing and freezing. Also due to a recent software update it also has a seven day EPG :)

9. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    In defence of Sagem, last week I purchased the latest model, the IDT66. This comes with two SCARTS (1 RGB) and RF loop-through as well as a multi-format photo-reader slot but no CAM for TopupTV.

Setup was a breeze, picked up all the TV & DAB stations no problem at all and the picture quality is good. EPG works OK although, as lostinspace mentioned, it is very light.

The Sony product that others have mentioned does sound great, just thought I'd add my opinions if it helps.

ALI

10. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The Netgem i-Player is an excellent box and has the advantage of component out (via scart).