1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Freeview box for Top-Up TV?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Vladman, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Vladman

Vladman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry if this has already been asked...

I'm looking to buy a Freeview box and I intend to subscribe to Top-Up TV. If I understand this correctly (I am a total Freeview-novice!), that narrows the choice down quite a bit. Also, are there any boxes with twin-tuners built in, which would enable you to watch one program, whilst recording another?

What boxes would you guys recommend, ideally not over a £100, and who do you buy these from?

Also, from doing a bit of research on this site, it seems to me the signal quality can be more important than the quality of the box. Is there some way to test the quality of the signal in my house without buying the box first, 'cause if it's very bad, I might as well not bother.

For information, I intend to connect it to a Philips projector (either S-video or composite, as component is used for input from dvd-recorder), and the Pana E65 dvd-recorder. It would be useful (but not essential) if I could also connect it to another, ordinary tv in my bedroom, which accepts either scart or RF.

All help and advice gratefully received.

Vlad.

2. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Only machine that will take a TUTV cam and has two tuners /hard disk is the Topfield. I am pretty sure that you can run RF to other parts of the house from it as well.

Regards Richard

3. Vladman

Vladman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Richard, thanks for your reply. The box I buy doesn't have to be twin-tuner, but it has to be Top-Up TV compatible. I don't really want to narrow myself down to a single box, which probably costs quite a lot as well.

4. Vladman

Vladman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I tried to do a bit of research.

It appears Thomson DTI 2300 or (identical product, if I'm right) DTI 2305 which includes Top Up TV subscription is a popular choice.

Another interesting one seems to be the BT box (rebadged Netgem I-Player), but I can't find out if it supports Top Up TV just yet. They're saying it's supposed to, in the near future... Any news on this?

Is one of these two a good choice, and are there any other good alternatives which I've missed?

Thanks.

5. wullsy

wullsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If you want a cheap box, I'd go for one of the ex-On digital boxes. I bought one a few months back for the spare room. I think it was about £45 all in. Melksham Satellites are doing the Nokia 9850T for £38.95+del, which will work with Top up Tv.

Just an option if your looking at saving a few quid.

Look at Special Offers on the main page of http://www.satelliteonline.co.uk/

6. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    For less than £100 you could get two Ondigital boxes of course; giving you play and record capability. I am still using one of these boxes with my 2nd TV; it must be getting on for 5 years old and still working as well as it ever did. They obviously lack some of the features of the new TUTV boxes and they will never get any upgrades of course.

Regards Richard

PS also sent you a private message

7. Vladman

Vladman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks very much all for these suggestions. Those Ondigital boxes do seem like a really good deal indeed.

8. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Regarding the on-digital Nokia 9850T freeview box my search also reveals this freeview box will not have any updates now and in the future. Would this cause any problems later on?

As a matter of interest what does an update do?

Can any updates be available from nokia themselves?

9. Vladman

Vladman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :oops:

Ar$e!

Just when I was just about ready to commit and buy one of these boxes, and go down the Freeview+TopUpTV route, I realised no British Eurosport is offered on either. Which would mean losing MotoGP...

Oh well... Looks like I'll have to stay with NTL.

Thanks for your help guys.

10. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hey but MotoGP is on BBC 2. I am a bit of a fan myself. Sundays duel between Rossi and Gibernau was amazing.

11. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Add new feature and fix bugs. All the bugs on these old boxes should be minor, the absence of updates should not be an actual problem.

12. Vladman

Vladman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey, thanks for bringing that to my attention Richard. Do BBC2 show the complete races, with all the ceremonies and the press conferences after the race?

13. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Unfortunatelly I got called away on Sunday before the coverage finished. They were certainly hanging around for the Rossi/Gibernau glaring in the pits! They showed the whole race and there was quite a bit of pre-race stuff including a course ride etc. Cannot say if the coverage is as full as Eurosports. Why not watch the next one, Portugese is it. and see what you think.
    One thing in my paper they just had it billed as 'Grandstand' so I can see how the coverage might go unnoticed. Beat F1 hollow; Rossi is a genius. :clap:
    They showed it last season as well; but I only got into at the end when my builder who is a biker got me watching.
    We may be going a bit off topic here.

14. Vladman

Vladman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Indeed. :D

Will check it out on BBC2 this weekend then, as you suggested. Noticed they sometimes show it live, sometime at a later time...