What freebies to ask for?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by fourfoot, Mar 16, 2006.

1. fourfoot

fourfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm off to collect a pair of B&W dm604 speakers next week, however, because the shop had to order them in specially, they couldn't give me a discount. So I'm going to ask for some freebies when I goto collect them to make up for the lack of discount. :smashin:

But, what should I ask for? What do you think is reasonable to ask a dealer to throw in for free with a set of £800 speakers?

2. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    depends on what you need really, but maybe a new set of speaker cables..??

3. Jammyb

Jammyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    A pot of woofer polish?

4. fourfoot

fourfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well, I sold *all* my old stuff (I found a mug who paid me more than what it all cost me :D ), so am starting from the beginning again :)

5. Fat Tony

Fat Tony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I think you should have asked that question and negotiated freebies before you ordered them ... they have not got much incentive to reduce them now other than to keep some goodwill.

6. fourfoot

fourfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I haven't paid for them yet, so still plenty of negotiating power, since they probably won't want to hang on to them if I don't take them ;) (their reason for not keeping any in stock was "lack of space")

7. Fat Tony

Fat Tony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Now you're talking! :smashin: I think you gotta aim for at least £80 worth on freebies as a minimum (it will only cost then a small amount, as they tend to make bigger mark-up's on cable, etc.)

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    most shops wont stock speakers that are either pricey and/or large, mainly because they often come in different finishes, also insurance premiums would shoot thru the roof....

they either order from the wholesaler/manufacturer, or they keep a stock at a private lockup somewhere which means taking a day to get it from one place to the other.....

as for the extra freebies, well, its worth asking, but to use the 'i wont pay if you dont' card tbh is a bit pathetic in my book, you know the price, you asked for a discount, they said no dice, nothing wrong when you collect in asking if they could chuck in a couple metres of cable, more than likely they will, or at least do you some good stuff on a discount, but dont give them an ultimatum.....how would you feel if someone did that to you?

9. fourfoot

fourfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I get it on a daily basis, and it doesn't bother me, there's always another customer just round the corner :)

Anyway, I'm going to take the speakers and they know that, but might be fun to 'play' with the sales staff :p

10. fourfoot

fourfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Managed to get 10m of QED silver anniversary (bi-wire), 16 banana plugs and 3 profi gold 3m digital co-ax cables out of them.

11. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    You don't have any negotiating power, when you ordered them you entered into a legally binding agreement to buy them at the price you rodered them at. You really should have negotiated any discount/freebies at the time of ordering.

12. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    That is out of order, and you may find yourself getting nothing at all expect for a bad reputation with that dealer. Courtesy and respect from customers is usually reciprocated by generous discounts and good advice. Demanding money off or freebies usually results in the opposite. I have on occasions started putting the quoted price up as soon as customers get demanding after I have already offered them a good deal. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. You may find that if you buy the speakers at full price without any hassle when you return to purchase other goods in the future you will be offered a discount without even asking, that's certainly how I would work it.

13. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    I'm glad to hear you got what you were after, I'm sure it was gained by politley asking rather than 'playing with the staff'.

14. fourfoot

fourfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    No contract was entered into untill any documents were signed or money exchanged, neither of which happened over the phone. I could have simply gone in, demo'd them and decided I don't like them and go home without any problem.

Unfortunatly, I won't be returning there to buy more goods though, all their prices are atleast £100 more than I can get them elsewhere (plus 130 miles of driving, plus £5/hr for parking :p), the only reason I had to buy from them was because they're the only dealer nearby who sell B&W (which can't be bought online). :)

Ofcourse it was done politley, and we had a laugh about it (especially since the speaker boxes were as big as the guy serving me) :)