What foreign film are you watching tonight ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vipen

Novice Member
i'm in love with foreign cinema. I've always watched a few here and there but i'm in full swing now. I'm finding going back to some hollywood films which i should like (Kingdom) hard going due to things like tempo (too high), character development (or lack of), ideas (again, lack of), remakes (of foreign films), etc.

So i'd thought i'd start a thread which would help me pick recommended foreign films and avoid any turkeys.

Last week i watched Infernal Affairs Pt 1, the rest of the trilogy to follow. Loved it!

Previously had an Asian Horror bonanza. Amazing films and best for me was A Tale Of Two Sisters. No blood and guts, just pure terror and suspense!:thumbsup:

+++++ Top Films Listing +++++

SimonH is kindly keeping a list of all films deemed worthy of a watch which should help first timers and veterans alike to home in on some good films from the vast array available.

The list can be found here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6995851&postcount=268

Tonight it's an animated Studio Ghibli film called 'Grave Of The Fireflies'. fingers crossed as it's a long time since i watched animated which was Spirited Away, which was excellent.

Please list your viewing or offer recommendations. It will probably just be me eh:rolleyes:

fluffrick

Well, I have a couple of European offerings to take in at some point - from titles languishing on my "To View" pile, next to the DVD player.

"Venus Beauty Institute", an earlier Audrey Tautou starring piece of whimsy, is one such disc, and I have the Studio Ghibli film, "Only Yesterday" to check out in the near future.

My recommendation for a French film to check out if you like quirky and bound-to-be-remade-badly comedies is "Love Me If You Dare". If you saw "La Vie En Rose" and were won over by Marion Cotillard, this is an earlier rom-com with bite.

And on the Ghibli tip, why not try "Kiki's Delivery Service". It's an archetypal film to enjoy on a Sunday afternoon, with a glass of whatever takes your fancy to hand...

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
whats wrong with the what are you watching tonight thread - all nationalities and culture of films are welcome :)

i did watch my neighbour toroto last week, interesting if your a 11yr old girl, did'nt do much for me.

Vipen

Novice Member
whats wrong with the what are you watching tonight thread - all nationalities and culture of films are welcome :)
mainly because i would subscribe to this thread as it's specific to my requirements. i'm very aware of hollywood/british films that come out.

i've tried looking in that thread for recommended foreign films but there's no easy way to go about it other than trawling through it all for tidbits:eek:

maybe it will cause some confusion though:confused:

vader100

Good idea. Foreign films are more of a niche and finding peoples views on them can be tricky in the other thread.

Watched Black Book and Night Watch this week. BB was very good but I felt the end was a little too neat and "Hollywoody" to be completely true. It was a little over gratuitous in places but as directed by Verhoeven is only to be expected I suppose.

Night Watch was excellent. Scary,excellent script and filming and the animated subtitles added so much to the atmosphere of the film.I love seeing something new in films like this.Thoroughly recommended.

Shoka

Novice Member
Tonight it's an animated Studio Ghibli film called 'Grave Of The Fireflies'. fingers crossed as it's a long time since i watched animated which was Spirited Away, which was excellent.
Check out the rest of the ghibli stuff, all are masterpieces in their own right, several of them also address enviromental issues (discreetly) which several holywood films are doing as well. if you are into your animation I would also recomend several films by Rene Laloux

brian s

Distinguished Member
Not tonight but I watched Run Lola Run/Lola Rennt on Monday. One of the greatest films of all time.

All the best
Bri

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
mainly because i would subscribe to this thread as it's specific to my requirements. i'm very aware of hollywood/british films that come out.

i've tried looking in that thread for recommended foreign films but there's no easy way to go about it other than trawling through it all for tidbits:eek:

maybe it will cause some confusion though:confused:
it was tongue in cheek, its fine to have a dedicated thread to meet your requirements.

Personally i dont like these threads too much, you can say what you liked about a film or disliked, but your post can be superceeded by other peoples posts within a few hrs on their viewing habits, and no one might read your post, i think its better to have single film title threads and stay on subject for a longer discussions :)

sore napper

Novice Member
Personally i dont like these threads too much, you can say what you liked about a film or disliked, but your post can be superceeded by other peoples posts within a few hrs on their viewing habits, and no one might read your post, i think its better to have single film title threads and stay on subject for a longer discussions :)
Aye, I never read these types of threads no more, I think most people just post in them.

This one might not get as bogged down as much, and be easier reading.

Vipen

Novice Member
well the thread title was a bit tongue in cheek and could be used better like say 'what foreign film do you recommend' but you get the idea.

obviously it won't move very quickly but may be good reference stuff. for me anyway:thumbsup:

Night Watch was excellent. Scary,excellent script and filming and the animated subtitles added so much to the atmosphere of the film.I love seeing something new in films like this.Thoroughly recommended.
i tried to watch this once but i could only get hard of hearing subtitles (things like 'bird cheeping in background'). is this a recent purchase as maybe they've updated it? may just be me though...

mykl1971

Novice Member
I normally would avoid foreign movies (I find reading subtitles takes away from the watching of a film), but I'm going to give a couple of highly recommended ones a go.

The Diving Bell And The Butterfly
The Lives Of Others

I'd also appreciate it if someone could help me out re the title of a French film. On the Film 2007 end of year show, Michael Caine said it was his favourite of the year but I can't recall the title. Did anyone watch it and can remember ??

Thanks in advance.

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
I normally would avoid foreign movies (I find reading subtitles takes away from the watching of a film), but I'm going to give a couple of highly recommended ones a go.

The Diving Bell And The Butterfly
The Lives Of Others

I'd also appreciate it if someone could help me out re the title of a French film. On the Film 2007 end of year show, Michael Caine said it was his favourite of the year but I can't recall the title. Did anyone watch it and can remember ??

Thanks in advance.
Hi PearlJam,

Caine was referring to Tell No One. Here's a link to the BBC review of the film.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2007/06/11/tell_no_one_2007_review.shtml

I thought it was fantastic. It was certainly one of the best films I watched last year. It's a sad movie, but your mood might be lifted by the excellent score that accompanies the film.

Oddly – and this grates anybody I watch a DVD with – I prefer to watch everything I see with subtitles enabled. I even wish they would include them in movies at the cinema. That would be great!

The Life of Others was, perhaps, the best film I watched last year. You can't miss it.

I only have two foreign films.. Hero, and Borat. J/K

iainoco

I watched Tell No One earlier this week and I can highly recommend it. It's an excellent thriller which avoids American thriller clichés. The acting is tremendous and the action sequences (especially the motorway crash ) are stunningly done.

Tonight I'm going to watch The Lives Of Others.

Can also recommend the following if you like thrillers.

Vengeance Trilogy
Hidden
SPL
Infernal Affairs Trilogy
A Bittersweet Life
Black Book
Switchblade Romance
Downfall

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
I watched Tell No One earlier this week and I can highly recommend it. It's an excellent thriller which avoids American thriller clichés. The acting is tremendous and the action sequences (especially the motorway crash ) are stunningly done.

Tonight I'm going to watch The Lives Of Others.

Can also recommend the following if you like thrillers.

Vengeance Trilogy
Hidden
SPL
Infernal Affairs Trilogy
A Bittersweet Life
Black Book
Switchblade Romance
Downfall

of the above these are my favs;

- A BitterSweet Life (Korean stylish gangster movie)
- Tell No One (French thriller)
- SwitchBlade Romance (French horror slasher)
- The Lives of Others (German drama thriller - pre-Berlin Wall)
- Black Book (Dutch WII thriller)

vader100

well the thread title was a bit tongue in cheek and could be used better like say 'what foreign film do you recommend' but you get the idea.

obviously it won't move very quickly but may be good reference stuff. for me anyway:thumbsup:

i tried to watch this once but i could only get hard of hearing subtitles (things like 'bird cheeping in background'). is this a recent purchase as maybe they've updated it? may just be me though...

Actually was recorded off Film4.

Vipen

Novice Member
Last night watched Infernal Affairs Pt II. i'd give it 6.5/10, the first was amazing but this lacked a little something. was still entertaining though if you like HK gangster movies. Pt III to follow.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Last night watched Infernal Affairs Pt II. i'd give it 6.5/10, the first was amazing but this lacked a little something. was still entertaining though if you like HK gangster movies. Pt III to follow.
I found Prt II somewhat confusing first time round and no where as enjoyable as 1, so still have no.3 in the pile after about 1.5yrs to see. Let me know how you get on.

Kevo

All my previous 10 DVD purchases have been foreign films. I've also watched quirt a few on Sky/BBC recently.

I've pretty much had it with most of the Hollywood CRAP that they keep churning out, so have now reverted to 'World Cinema' (mainly (European, old and new).

The last one I watched was 'Tell No One', an excellent French thriller, highly recommended.

It's a growing market that could be tapped into more. I'm surprised Sky don't have a 'World Cinema movies channel'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...

Latest News

Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Harman Kardon launches Citation Amp
  • By Andy Bassett