What foreign film are you watching tonight? - Part 3!

brian s said:
I may have to look at this. Was it on Blu or DVD?

Bri

DVD Bri

Germany Year Zero 1948

★★★★½

Wasn't a big fan of Rossellini's Rome Open City but found this to be one of the most remarkable and astounding pieces of work I've seen,told though the story of a young boy who begs steals to keep is family alive,it totally brings another side to the after effects of a country and people defeated by war that I haven't seen or shown with such honesty in quite this way.

Honour Among Thieves 1959

★★★

Decent 50's gangster flick that follows an ageing gangster whose plans of retirement are soon dashed has loose lips from his partner put an end to his dreams.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I've not seen it, but reviews don't seem too favourable.

I've toyed with the idea of getting Stephen Chow's Chinese Odyssey Series which is meant to be a far better adaptation of the Monkey story.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I've not seen it, but reviews don't seem too favourable.

I've toyed with the idea of getting Stephen Chow's Chinese Odyssey Series which is meant to be a far better adaptation of the Monkey story.

I LOVE those films! I would say get it but unless you know cantonese, Im not sure how much of the fun will be lost in translation. Have you seen any of his older stuff? or anything otehr than shaolin soccer and kung fu hustle?

I LOVE those films! I would say get it but unless you know cantonese, Im not sure how much of the fun will be lost in translation. Have you seen any of his older stuff? or anything otehr than shaolin soccer and kung fu hustle?
I think Kung Fu Hustle is the only thing I've seen of his.

When Darkness Falls 2006
★★★★
Excellent film that deals with three very tough and hard hitting topics if you like your foreign films and have Lovefilm bang it on your stream watchlist..

Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto 1954
★★★★
I usually prefer my Samurai films in black and white but could not help being drawn into this great colourful saga,its filled with great scenic landscapes and Toshiro Mifune was great as per usual,looking forward to the next installments

Samurai II: Duel at Ichijoji Temple 1955
★★★
A more sedate 2nd offering of Musashi's tale that unfortunately as also taken away a lot of its colour and scenic beauty,still its intriguing me enough to catch up with the final part of the trilogy,and what will happen to the wandering samurai.

Intouchables 2012
★★★
Good movie with excellent performances only downside is that right from the offset you know where it's going and what ride you will be on,which is one of the reason Ive put off watching it for so long.

I think Kung Fu Hustle is the only thing I've seen of his.

If you liked that, then I would strongly recommend shaolin soccer. And then slowly move onto his older stuff.

As much as I like chinese odysey, I dont think its his best (old stuff). If you were to try one, I'd recommend God of cookery first.

After watching and enjoying Rurouni Kenshin, it has spurred me to finally give 13 Assassins a twirl. Had it for awhile but never got around to watching it. It's meant to be EPIC! :smashin:

The Seventh Continent 1989
★★★★

Another solid and early piece from Haneke based on true tragic events,and once again he shows his real eye for the minor details despair and repetition of daily life all captured in his own unique way.

Samurai III: Duel at Ganryu Island 1956
★★★★

A fitting conclusion to Musashi's story and my favourite of the trilogy.

5 Broken Cameras 2012
★★★★

A must see for documentary fans a very real and compelling piece of work.

Dead Europe 2012
★★★

Interesting tale of an Australian photographer who travels Europe to scatter his late Greek Fathers ashes,he soon follows his Fathers disturbing past that takes him to the darker immigrant side of Athens,Budapest,and Paris

A Gang Story 2011
★★★½

Very good true crime story about the Lyon gang who carried off heists and robberies all over France during the 70's,if you enjoyed Mesrine this is well worth a viewing.

Last edited:
Tony Manero 2008
★★★★

Excellent take of a obsessive and deeply psychotic Saturday Night Fever fan who stops at nothing to get his recognition as the Chilean number one Tony Manero impersonator,Alfredo Castro once again does another great job in bringing the character to life in this the first of Pablo Larrain's trilogy of life under Pinochet's rule.

Time of the Gypsies 1988
★★★★½

A stunning glimpse into the lives of Romany gypsies that gives a closer look into their way of life and customs,it's filled to the brim with fantastic camera work great characters and believable performances,this is definitely a movie that I will enjoying viewing numerous times.

Last edited:
I watched Only Yesterday, only yesterday...sorry I couldnt resist.

Its the only Ghibli film apart from Grave of the Fireflies that I havent seen until now. I dont know why I skipped this one for all these years. This differs from other Ghibli films only in the way that its not a fantasy but it is no less charming and beautiful for it. Its a sweeping drama of a city girl in her late twenties drifting into her memories as a child reminiscing the good times, bad times and missed opportunities. The slow pace give you time to savour the plentiful significant moments in her life accompanied by a wonderful soundtrack mixed between cute Japanese songs, Dutch (yep Dutch) songs and the most gorgeous piano and violin centric orchestral.

In a way I am glad I had not seen this one because its a great feeling to discover another great Ghibli and one that lingers in my mind for a long time. Its one I will watch plenty more times, whenever I need to re-assure myself that life is beautiful.

9/10

Last edited:
Iron monkey 8/10 brilliant film
Wicked set pieces
Donnie yen is ace

That's actually my all time favourite Donny Yen film, I have watched that film several times over the years.

Its the only Ghibli film apart from Grave of the Fireflies that I havent seen until now.

you NEED to watch it now. definately one of my top ghibli's along with laputa, nausica, princess monoke, totoro and kiki

That's actually my all time favourite Donny Yen film, I have watched that film several times over the years.

have you seen SPL aka killzone? I know its a modern and not old school one but when I first watched iron monkey, I enjoyed it but felt it was overshadowed by "fong sai yuk" (Jet li) - that film (and sequel) was probably my favourite 90's martial arts film - and possibly tai chi master (also Jet Li) If you havent, I highly recommend them

Why Does Herr R. Run Amok? 1970
★★★★

Gradually things fall apart for a man dominated from the people and surroundings that enclose him,it plays out perfectly has he interacts with the people around him from the girls that mock him in the record store the belittling wife,the irritating mother,the boss and work buddies that all bring this realistic journey to its shocking climax.
Not fully read up on this but there are rumours and speculation that Fassbinder didn't even direct this movie.

Le Doulos 1962
★★★½

Good early Melville gangster pic that nearly lost me in its baffling middle but by the end every action is explained so was worth sticking with.

Starship Troopers: Invasion - 6/10 Japanese CGI animated continuation of the original Verhoeven movie in as much as three of the main characters are employed. As bold and as brash as the original but lacking the verve or panache of Verhoeven's effort. It also suffers the same faults of many of the Japanese CGI movies in that the plot, direction and dialogue never lives up to the excellent visuals and you're always left feeling, 'damn that could've and should've been so much better'.

Regards

Mark

you NEED to watch it now. definately one of my top ghibli's along with laputa, nausica, princess monoke, totoro and kiki

have you seen SPL aka killzone? I know its a modern and not old school one but when I first watched iron monkey, I enjoyed it but felt it was overshadowed by "fong sai yuk" (Jet li) - that film (and sequel) was probably my favourite 90's martial arts film - and possibly tai chi master (also Jet Li) If you havent, I highly recommend them

Oh I've seen all those films you mention and absolutely love all of them. Iron Monkey just had the perfect balance of martial arts, story, and humour and I just love love old China setting which is why its my fav Donnie Yen film. I think Tai Chi Master plus Drunken Master 2 are my personal favourites but that can change depending on which film I revisit. Donnie Yens later movies are pretty awesome too and seems to exude even more power in his presence as he ages, his choreography is incredible and those signature triple kicks makes my jaw drop every time.

Most of these older films I actually watched at the cinema back in the 80s/90s. There were 3 cinemas in London (Prince Charles, Empire, and The Scala) that used to show Hong Kong films, double bills, and all nighters every week and I would go to most of them. Sometimes the National Film Theatre at South Bank would have a season of Hong Kong movies too and I would see some of the films there too. The atmosphere at the first 3 cinemas I mentioned would be electric, full of fans who (including myself) would have already seen the film on vhs, cheering/clapping at the end of every good fight sequence, especially at the Scala, audience had a code, for instance when Chow Yun Fat makes a mean face, we shout "FACE!"...I know weird but fun! National Film Theatre was different, the audience more serious film/World Cinema enthusiasts but occasionally, they get blown over by a martial arts sequence and spontaneously applaud then I can detect them wondering what they did they just do, muttering at their own unnatural behaviour, lol.

My favourite Ghibli was Spirited Away followed by Whisper of the Heart and I think I will add this Only Yesterday to my top 3. Spirited, I saw when it was released in the cinemas, it introduced the rest of the world including myself to Ghibli's studios and thanks to Lassiter, the whole backlog slowly became available. I bought every single one, many from America. But my Fireflies disc was unreadable and I never bothered to buy another. But I shall do soon and complete my Ghibli consumption! :smashing:

There is also a made for TV Ghibli film that I am still yet to see which is called Ocean Waves, I think I will like that one, as much as I love their surreal fantasy films, I think I love their more down to earth human drama films even more.

Last edited:
nice to see another HK film enthusiast and have good taste in martial art films. Drunken Master 2 - amazing! If you particularly like fight scenes, have you seen gorgeous (Jackie Chan)? Its an absolute terrible film but the small amount of fight scenes (2 or maybe 3) was one of JC's better ones and worth checking out. I only suggest that as many people overlook that film cos its rubbish and more a romance film. I know what you mean about donnie yen, especially with spl and flashpoint. Cant wait for another one of him and wu jing/jacky wu.

Shame you didnt rate laputa and the other ghibli's I mentioned. Maybe because I watched them when they were released or not released long ago.

The london cinema sounds interesting and nice to hear of the fun environment rather than chav's chatting loudly in cinema's these days.

I take it you're waiting on monkey king? :)

Recently I watched the excellent Desire to kill (aka Enemy at the Dead End) staring I saw the devil's Ho-jin Cheon.
A very enjoyable and at times laugh out loud funny thriller, highly recommended.

What is the opinion of Donnie Yen's Lost Bladesman ? I have been meaning to get it for ages and it is now just £4.59 at Play. I also noticed the film version of Legend of Bruce Lee is just £3.29. I know what is a condensed version of the TV series but is it any good ?

nwgarratt said:
What is the opinion of Donnie Yen's Lost Bladesman ? I have been meaning to get it for ages and it is now just £4.59 at Play. I also noticed the film version of Legend of Bruce Lee is just £3.29. I know what is a condensed version of the TV series but is it any good ?

Lost Bladesman looked fantastic and had some great fight sequences but just suffered in its story.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom