1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What for Hollywood???

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by John Watts, Jun 13, 2003.

1. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi all, hope your well.

Here's one for you to ponder, let me know your thoughts.

I recently bought a projector so my PC has come into my home cinema fray. Ok, i have used Kazaa for a while usually to get a few mp3's or images ( i like to collect great pics of famous citys or skylines etc).
    After i got the PJ i had a look for some good video clips on Kazaa and found loads of footie stuff but i have also noticed that there are almost any motion picture you could want albeit they are huge files. However if you hve broadband this would really not be a problem to download them.

My point is how will hollywood survive when everybody gets broadband internet ( as they will eventually ) and decides to just simply download these films??? I personally prefer to just go and buy good DVD's for all the extras and the guaranteed quality but surely if the number of people "stealing" increases enough and it will. Then Hollywoods days are numbered.

Mmm food for thought. Please let me know what you think about this.
    Cheers,
    John.

2. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Have you tried watching any of these films from Kaaza though? Most are of awfull qaulity, video cameras in cinemas etc.

3. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even the ones that are taken from a decent source are pretty dreadful to watch: I guess the sample rate is just too low.

I don't think that it will cause too big a problem to the film studios. The record industry is currently blaming all its woes on piracy, which I think is a cop-out personally: they've bought it on themselves with their terrible policies for signing and promoting bands.

If piracy is killing music, then why is the Radiohead album heading for the top of the charts, outselling the rest of the top 5 put together? It's been well publicised that this album has been available to download for nearly 2 months from the likes of Kazaa (and unlike films, the download files are perfectly listenable!).

4. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There always has and always will be piracy. Hollywood has survived thus far, and people were predicting it's collapse when the pirate ET's were everywhere.

And I'm not sure that 'everyone' will get Broadband eventually, when most of my friends have yet to get their own internet access and can't be bothered with it in any case.

5. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd much prefer a night out at the cinema or at home watching a DVD than sitting in front of a PC watching some terrible quality work print.

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I personally download music to sample and ultimately decide wether I wish to buy the album or not. It has never affected the volume of music cd's I tend to buy each month it just gives you the opportunity to hear what you may and may not like. If anything it's opened my eyes to other bands/ genres that I would not necessarily buy in the past. I know lots of people abuse this but if you've got a good system to play music on then cd's (not low quality mp3's) will only do.
    The same doesn't go for movies however i tend to go to the cinema to sample the film and then buy the dvd if i liked the film. To be honest I don't know how people put up with substandard pq and sound- they can't possibly get a true intepritation of what the director/film is trying to show.

7. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hawklord:

The problem is that 'low quality MP3s' are actually pretty good to listen to if the sample rate is high enough (196kbps seems quite common): they're not that distinguishable from a CD on most systems.

I too use downloads to sample stuff that I wouldn't normally buy: I've bought quite a few albums after doing this. I've also used downloads to replace albums that I've lost (no CD, but still got the case).

In this way, downloads could be said to help the diversity of music, which isn't exactly what the music industry favours: I'm sure they'd prefer it if there were only a handful of popular bands, because it would make marketing cheaper.

8. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hopefully DVD-A and SACD will become more popular given that more publishers support the formats. This may cut down on pirate copying (until someone susses out how to pirate them) and offer even better sound repro.
    The dark side of the moon SACD shows there is definately a market for this product I just wish they'd get off their arses and release more varied genres. The choice is terrible at the mo (on SACD) but the albums I have purchased up to now have been worth it imo.

9. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well as broadband gets cheaper and cheaper then it will get worse and worse just think if everyone has 1Mb or even 2MB broadband which are available now they can download FULL DVD movies at that speed, there are alredy loads of newsgroups submitting images of DVDs perfect copies,

on a 2MB connection it would not take too long to download, even on standard 512k its only a 1 night affair.

10. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Good points there guys i tend to agree with all of you.

One good example is the new Radiohead album which has been available for the last 2 months to download for free prior to the release date on Radioheads website at no obligation or cost.

The album has now been released and is officially selling more than the current top 5 albums PUT TOGETHER. Wow. It's obviously not done Radioheads record sales any harm and it's great PR for them too.

11. Quinnsey

Quinnsey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In some ways I think this can be a good thing, as studios will have to lower prices and bring out better quality DVD's to lure people away from Kazaa :)