• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What FM aerial?

subbu68

I am living in a 5th floor apartment in Abu Dhabi. Down in the carpark I can get all FM stations clear in my car radio. But at home even with a vertical dipole made from two telescopic rods of an old VHF/UHF aerial (SONNET made by SONY) and installed outside my window, I cannot get a satisfactory stereo and at times even mono reception in my SANGEAN WR3. I cannot put the aerial on the roof top (another 10 floors above me).

Any solution?

We have no quality electronics stores except Radioshack. They have no good aerials with them.

Thanks in advance.

Cable Monkey

In which direction is the transmitter. If you are on the blind side of the building and it is consructed with steel framing or steel reinforced concrete then you may have a hard time. You need any antenna pointing at, or with a clear line of sight to the transmitter.

subbu68

I am in a concrete jungle to say. The stations are as you said towards the opposite side of my windows (maynot be exactly). They are also very far like 100miles but pretty powerful I believe as these are the only interesting stations transmitting from Dubai and adjasent areas for Asian community in the UAE. On the same side as my windows I can get good reception in my car with a stub aerial day and night but not my home radio. Sometimes my other Sangean & Sony portables get clean signal with just the telescoping aerial. (i discount that as it is only a mono radio).I have to switch my table top to mono when good music comes. That makes me :mad:. See attachment for an aerial view.

Maybe a bit more gain I should be able to get a clean signal at home. I am trying a J pole from a 300ohm ribbon cable in near future.Or a quad that I saw on the net.

Attachments

• Our Bldg FM xmitters1.jpg
    Our Bldg FM xmitters1.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 53

vex

Do you have a satellite tv distribution system in your apartment block? If so there is a good chance it will be doing FM as well and you could just plug into those.

What do your TV wall plates look like?

V.

subbu68

subbu68

The TV socket is dead. Just gives the FM hiss and faint sounds.

Maybe I found a sweet spot for my vertical dipole. Most of the stations I want to listen are clear when placed on the sill nearer to the road in front of our building. Still not leaving the experiments.

subbu68

Built a dipole with a couple of telescopic aerials and tried it. Vertically installed out of the window, multi-path distortion was high on certain stations. Following a link on the net tried tilting it 45 degrees to the vertical and it improved certain stations but some others faded off. now it is installed horizontal. Yes, with most of the stations I want in the same direction it is ok at night.

I made a simple quad from about 3m of coax formed into a square, fixed on a cross made from wooden baton, and fed to the radio through coax. though in a very crude form now, kept in the bedroom near the radio the gain shot up. in the afternoons those stations which were faint with the dipole became reasonably clear and in Mono mode they are very clear. would try refining the quad.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom