What floorstanding speakers for CA/Emotiva setup?

juniper

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Having just moved house I am speakerless, and looking for recommendations as to what to buy. I have a Cambridge Audio CXNv2, and a Emotiva BasX 5 amp. My room size is approximately 20 feet x 20 feet, with high 10 feet ceilings. Most of my music is easy listening stuff, light rock, ballads etc. I do like to crank it up, like speakers that are somewhere between neutral and bright, but really appreciate clarity and nuance when played low too. All music is streamed to/from the CXN.

I recently had a demo of some Sonus Faber Sonnetto 3 and B&W 702s2. Both were amazing (but they were also partnered by a Macintosh amp and so should have been!). They are also both sadly a bit out of my price range….

I used to have a pair of Focal 926 and actually loved them. I can also get a pair of 948s online for not much more….but haven’t heard them before. Are they much ‘different/fuller’ than the 926?

So my question really is - if I want to spend as close to say £2k as I can, what would you advise me to buy as a floorstanding pair? I’d change the CXN and amp too if it might give me a better overall ‘quality’ of sound.

Looking forward to any help you might give me - thanks ☺️

Spendor A2 if your looking for new, otherwise used spendor A6/A6r, any Spendor that takes your fancy really.

Spendor A2 if your looking for new, otherwise used spendor A6/A6r, any Spendor that takes your fancy really.
Thanks - will have a look around. Although they are really small cabinets, and I’d prefer something a bit (or a lot!) more imposing really.

If you liked the Sonnetto III, then the Lumina 5 might be worth a listen at some point (£2500 new so may get ex demo or newer second hand around your budget). This is a proper 3 way (Tweeter, Mid 2x woofer) which is always a good thing, downward firing port for easy room placement and they are 89dB/W/m sensitivity so fairly easy to drive. Reviews seem good.

If you can line up a demo of the Lumin 5 and Focal 948 then it would be worth doing. Listen and let your ears decide.

In Bristol if that is anywhere close -

Guess you have seen th4e ex demo/nearly new 948's

And these 703s2's

These three would be good to back to back audition if possible.

The 703 and 704 are between £900 and £1399 on Sevonoaks clearance. I have the 704 they sound great for the money

If you liked the Sonnetto III, then the Lumina 5 might be worth a listen at some point (£2500 new so may get ex demo or newer second hand around your budget). This is a proper 3 way (Tweeter, Mid 2x woofer) which is always a good thing, downward firing port for easy room placement and they are 89dB/W/m sensitivity so fairly easy to drive. Reviews seem good.

If you can line up a demo of the Lumin 5 and Focal 948 then it would be worth doing. Listen and let your ears decide.

In Bristol if that is anywhere close -

Guess you have seen th4e ex demo/nearly new 948's

And these 703s2's

These three would be good to back to back audition if possible.
Excellent - thank you. Bristol isn't close unfortunately (I'm in the Lakes), but Peter Tyson is. Great deal on the 948s, but that is a pretty bit gouge in the side isn't it. I'll look up some reviews of the Lumina in the meantime....

@juniper Sorry didn’t spot that fault, they have new old stock for £1999.

Audio T have a Manchester Branch, if they have the Lumina V in you can at least hear them and then get the Bristol ones shipped to you or use that as a bargaining tool for some new ones.

If you’re after impact... both musically and physically you really should hear these.

Brand new warranty and an excellent price.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Personally I’d ring these and see if you can tempt them with a cash offer.

A few small marks but that should make your bargaining position a lot stronger.

Superb speakers by all accounts.

Or say to hell with floorstanders and buy these bad boys.

And for something quite magical if you can’t get the Neat Ekstra, then these are something of a legend.

A review of the slightly less expensive model here.

Or say to hell with floorstanders and buy these bad boys.

I think that may be the most remarkable review I've ever read! If they worked aesthetically for me then I'd have to say that I would!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom