What Floor Standing Speakers To Buy?

cosmicremedy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, i am currently after some floor standing speakers. I don't really want to go to above £200 but could be tempted with the right ones. i am looking for something similar to the very slim tall speaker you get with the Sony cinema surround systems. But i do want to stick with just the two speakers. The last thing i want is lots of tiny little speakers all over the living room...

Any help or suggestions would be great......

cheers

DPearson said:
Hello there,
Welcome.
Im not sure if those speakers would have enough bass on their own, what model are u refering to? Have u a seperate sub?
If i were you, i would go for a set of proper floor standers. Have a look at Richer Sounds range below.
http://ws1.richersounds.com/productlist.php?cda=productlist&sgroup=FLOORSTANDING&sort=price

Thanks, yeah i was thinking that would have to use that style of speaker with a sub. But i just want floor standings, i have had a look at Richer Sounds thanks, but was after something a bit more Minimalist? But then as you say, i wouldn't get much bass out of them.... is there any alternative?

It's just i don't want a sub or anything like that on show.

A sub doesn't need to be on show, bass isn't directional, you could stick it out of the way. Though you're gonna struggle to get both for £200.

Jammyb said:
A sub doesn't need to be on show, bass isn't directional, you could stick it out of the way. Though you're gonna struggle to get both for £200.

I'm probably being really difficult here, but the only place i would have to put a sub would be in the cabinet the Hi-Fi sits on, which can't be good? i'm probably best going round a few hi-fi shops and seeing whats out there.

cheers for the suggestions anyway...

You can get a pair of B&W 603`s s2 second hand for less than 250 on ebay, cheaper on these forums if any come up for sale. Great buy for the money: if your amps upto the job of driving them. Loads of other great bargains second hand if money is tight.

You'd need a good £500 integrated minimum to control the 603's properly. It's nothing to do with power, more to do with current and control.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

i have been looking at the Bose 201 Direct/Reflecting Speakers, they're a great looking pair of speakers and having experienced a Bose sound system in my previous car, i would expect good things from them.

Anybody know anything about them?

Bose products will NEVER sound as good as their equivelently priced 'hifi' competitors (in my opinion).

I think that a lot of what you're paying for with a Bose product is the advertising that they spent convincing you to buy it in the first place.

You will very rarely see Bose products reviewed, partly because Bose have no interest in providing their products for review and partly because hifi enthusiasts have little interest in obtaining them for review.

There's one here though from the Gadget show:http://gadgetshow.five.tv/jsp/5gsmain.jsp?lnk=401&featureid=34&show=s4e2&section=Classic Gadgets
where the £450 Bose radio is found to sound about the same as a £130 panasonic system :p

I'm not sticking up for the Bose, but it's hardly an in depth report is it? Bose systems are designed as a solution to a problem. Can you mount the Denon or Panasonic system underneath some kitchen wall units out of the way?

You can compare it's sound quality with anything, but the design and intention of the systems are very different.

I realise that, but it gives you some idea.

I'm tired of people going on about Bose products, their wife drags them shopping for the day and while she's in Zara they go and spend £2k on some Bose system and then rave about how it sounds better than their old Technics Hifi, yeah well you'd hope so wouldn't you, just a shame you didn't take the time to listen to something else for the same money. Except I don't say any of that, I just nod and smile, not really wanting to slag off something they've just spent a considerable amount of money on....

If there was no market for what most people describe as 'crap' systems, the likes of Dixons and Comet wouldn't have a 'hi-fi' department. If some people want to spend a little more on a half decent sounding lifestyle system that is the perfect solution for a major problem, then they should be free to do so. As long as they have listened to and are happy with what they're buying, they will be happy. Which is more than can be said for many 'neverending upgraders'.

Generally, you'll find most Bose buyers probably buy a Bose system every 10-20 years, similar to B&O. They're happy and in the long term spend less money! Maybe that's why they have more money, because they're not buying the 'next big thing' evry couple of years :)

Just a thought.....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom