1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What floor standing speakers go well with A32/P32?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by cameronl, Mar 15, 2005.

1. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there all, I have an A32 which i've been lately using as a power amp (it was unable to drive my Quad 12L's properly so that duty went to my Halo C2/A52). I've now got the chance to use a hi-fi system in the lounge.

I was looking through my magazines for a refined amp with b speaker outputs and a phono stage...the thing is I kept coming across the A32 :)

So, I'm going to buy a P35 and use it in the lounge. Can anyone suggest some nice floor standing speakers that would be suitable? They need to not be to bassy, have WAF(which discounts any B&W speakers). I'll probably sit about 4-5 meters from them.

thanks for your help all.

CaM

2. Snello

Snello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cameron,
    Glad to see you've still got the A32. If you're looking for a floor stander with WAF then the choices are limited but the Monitor Audio GR20's don't look bad (they have great cabinet finish and veneers too) and are a nice match with your amp, particularly if partnered with a P35. My brother has a pair and I really rate them - but then again, I've got the smaller GR10's so I would. They're not at all overblown in the bass - just accurate, clean and fast - perhaps a bit forward sounding but that shouldn't be a problem for the fluid sound of the A32.
    Incidentally, I gave up trying to import an A32 to NZ after I found an Perreaux R200i for sale locally. I won't go on about it in an Arcam forum (I still have an Arcam CDP feeding it!) but wow, it's fantastic. Such finesse and with effortless power.
    Give the GR20's a listen, but I guess it really depends on your budget and what works in your room.

3. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    A few choices here. They all sound different, so best go for an audition.

Monitor Audio GR20
    Quad 22L
    Dynaudio 72SE
    B&W 704 (or the pricier & slightly brighter 703)

I am currently deciding which to partner with my AVR300 & P35. I must say, I really like the Quad 22L - they are the cheapest as well!

Regards,
    Ian

4. EvilDead

EvilDead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Have a look at the PMC range, either GB1 or FB1+. I run FB1s with a A32/P35 and am more than happy with the results, as is the wife!

5. Dickster

Dickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I can agree with EvilDead. The PMC's are fantastic and well worth considering.

6. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi all :)

yep, I've still got the A32 but I haven't used it properly for over a year now...

b&w are a non starter for me. I already have the quad series for my home cinema. The Dynaudio don't have WAF though i'm sure they sound great.

The Monitor Audio GR20 look nice and the PMC look worth investigating as well.

What about the spendors? They look nice ;)

CaM

p.s. did you see the primare for sale in the forums Snello?