What flavour is your hifi?

Khazul

It's funny that the things I think are really clever in my music - an interesting chord or whatever - are never the things that people notice.

Some do, or at least us musicians do. I have always appreciated great musician ship in an artist and I guess this is large put of why I like a lot of funk/soul/jazz crossover music. Even in EDM, deep house funky house and and soul house have tended to be my thing just because the chord progressions tend to be more interesting.

I think those of who have been involve in some way all or parts of the entire chain (musician/DJ/recording mixing and mastering engineer for me) have a different level appreciation (and perhaps sometimes a lack of tolerance for poorer work) because we get highly attuned to certain things.

I guess its a similar thing for critical listeners vs casual listeners - they get attuned to certain things too.

Deaf Audiophile

Being a soul/funk starting mainly in the 70's fan over the years appreciating music I have often overlooked. When you start getting into hifi I think you start looking into what others are talking about. My son walked in laughing because I was listening to Barbara Streisand but I can't help it her voice is amazing & hifi made me appreciate new styles. Nat King Cole to Dire Straits, Bob Marley to Pentatonix. I told him he has to open his ears & widen his mind, then he admitted he has become a beatles fan lately with a few other ones & today going through his collection on discogs I find Barbara Streisand "One Voice" in his collection. I'll be having words with him.

Khazul

Indeed I think having a good sound system can make a real different to what you appreciate listening to. There are also some cases of bands who's music I like, but who's production quality leaves them too relatively dead sounding (overly mid range focus and dynamics squashed to oblivion) on a good system next to well arranged and produced music.

MrFluffyWalrus

Standard Member
a YouTuber was talking about vinyl record cleaning machines, he washes the vinyl then coats them in some stuff then dries them, fair enough but he does that 6 times & reckons he can hear an improvement each time plus it takes him over an hour to do this...
Yes, saw that. I wondered perhaps if he'd be better off putting his ears in that cleaning machine...

Onlythesound

@Hear Here, couldn’t agree more regarding imaging, speaker placement.
Speaker placement can take few months.
I’m always making micro adjustments to my speaker placement in the pursuit of perfection. Often I will change something slightly depending on the type of music or e.g. live or studio. It’s the sort of thing that makes hi-fi fun or non-aficionados to think of us as plain nuts. o_O

Deaf Audiophile

I’m always making micro adjustments to my speaker placement in the pursuit of perfection. Often I will change something slightly depending on the type of music or e.g. live or studio. It’s the sort of thing that makes hi-fi fun or non-aficionados to thinkine aren't bi wired but could be if wanted. I was told to move the metal plate between the second pair of connectors on the speaker and replace with wire. It definitely sounds better.

Last edited:

Onlythesound

Do it all the time. Mine aren't bi wired but could be if wanted. I was told to move the metal plate between the second pair of connectors on the speaker and replace with wire. It definitely sounds better.
Personally I dont bi-wire any more. I can’t tell the difference. Speaker positioning tweaks get mor mileage.

JohnnyNapalm

Interesting thread. For me I try to chase that live sound that you get at a concert which goes hand in hand with the output level. I like the placement and the seperation of instruments when listening. I suppose it comes down to detail, loudness (when able) and ambiance with a splash of emotion. Cheers.

Onlythesound

Interesting thread. For me I try to chase that live sound that you get at a concert which goes hand in hand with the output level. I like the placement and the seperation of instruments when listening. I suppose it comes down to detail, loudness (when able) and ambiance with a splash of emotion. Cheers.
Completely agree with that too. One of my favourite blu-rays is Eagles farewell tour No.1 Melbourne. It was beautifully played and produced. It demonstrates this well.

Deaf Audiophile

Completely agree with that too. One of my favourite blu-rays is Eagles farewell tour No.1 Melbourne. It was beautifully played and produced. It demonstrates this well.
I went to see Jean Michelle Jarre at docklands London many moons ago.I still get that live buzz when I put his album on. I am sure my system sounded as good as his setup LOL.

The latest video from AVForums

Prey + Bullet Train reviews, Heat 4K + Event Horizon 4K and all the latest movies and TV news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom